By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Mystery quilt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster13/05/2020 12:38:08
586 forum posts
328 photos

Back in January my local group Friendship Quilters, based in Walkington near Beverley decided to do a mystery quilt. We had the instructions in Feb and March. Then the world tilted on its axis. Fortunately we have been given the instructions every month since.

All my blocks are complete so I started planning how I would arrange them. I drew paper versions of each block and played around with them. I took photos of various arrangements until I found one I liked.

pattern version 2.jpg

I then sketched it out on paper as I didn't want to risk the bits falling off.

pattern 2 adopted.jpg

I have joined the middle 6 x 6 blocks and really like them.

central portion.jpg

The finished quilt will be about 50" square depending on if I add any borders. I did make some extra squares as I had some of the fat quarter fabrics left.

I will add photos of the individual blocks later.

Margaret has also got the same pattern so it will be nice to compare the finished projects.

Eileen

x

rosemary Rosenfeld13/05/2020 15:53:41
5826 forum posts
1706 photos
13 articles

That is really pretty! You're right .....it will be interesting to see the 2 together!! R x

Margaret S14/05/2020 09:30:34
3995 forum posts
748 photos

Well done Eileen. You will be horrified at my layout!

I haven't made all my blocks yet, but I will only have 110 when I have finished so my layout will be 10 x 11 blocks and might need some negative space when I've finished piecing.

This is my provisional layout plan. I have put rows 1- 6 with spaces for the yet unmade blocks up on the design wall and I've already tweaked it a bit.

Margaret

Mystery Quilt provisional layout

Eileen Foster14/05/2020 14:45:24
586 forum posts
328 photos

Not horrified at all Margaret. That's what I love about this project. Same blocks different layouts.

I like the look of yours. mine is very 'regular'

Eileen x

Margaret S16/05/2020 10:27:46
3995 forum posts
748 photos

Made all the blocks and now playing on the design wall. Using greyscale has been quite useful. Bottom right is very near finished layout.

Margaret

Mystery quilt-playing with layouts

Eileen Foster16/05/2020 21:54:18
586 forum posts
328 photos

This is my 6th block and the next couple of sections joined but not attached to the central bit.9 patch.jpg

placement.jpg

Its on my cream quilt and the outer edge wont be cream. I still have 2 more rows all round still to do. But I need to chose my backing fabric but I cant get out to look. I have looked on line but I need to put the fabrics with it to see if it works.

What do you use to hold your fabrics onto your wall Margaret and what is your wall?

Eileen

x

rosemary Rosenfeld17/05/2020 08:19:45
5826 forum posts
1706 photos
13 articles

I don't know about Margaret...but when I was making the gipsy wife quilts I attached a piece of wadding over a large bookcase...by putting heavy books on the top....and used that....IF I had to move it...it could be rolled up! Not perfect...but it did work! Best Rosemary x

Margaret S17/05/2020 10:02:28
3995 forum posts
748 photos

I have picture rails and in the spare (junk) room I have a piece of cheap fleece clipped to the rail. I just flat hand press the blocks to it and as long as they are not too heavy they stay in place, so there is no need to pin and they are easy to move around. At my group when I have demoed, seems so long ago now, I have used a fleece throw. Anything with a flannel type surface should work, paler the colour is best.

Margaret

Eileen Foster26/05/2020 20:44:08
586 forum posts
328 photos

I think I have an old wool blanket that I can use.

I ordered some extra wide backing fabric in a dull red from Doughty's but until it turns up [6 days and waiting but they did say they were very busy] I cant get on with it.

How are you getting on Margaret?

Margaret S27/05/2020 08:10:56
3995 forum posts
748 photos

My top is finished. The 9 patch blocks are deep purple. I am not buying fabric for this project so I am going to use some Dear Stella from my stash which is not really appropriate, (period type design), but it has the same colours in it. I have some dmc cotton perle #8 on order from Love Crafts as I plan to do some big stitch quilting when it is sandwiched.

Will now go and load the photo into my album as I forgot to do it before I started this post!

Margaret

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues