Marking the 200th Anniversary of the Royal Astronomical Society

Join in and be part of something special

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rosemary Rosenfeld18/02/2020 09:58:55
5757 forum posts
1678 photos
13 articles

The March issue of P&Q has just arrived and I followed up on a really interesting article....I followed this link.....

**LINK**

and the info below was taken from the webpage!

Next year will mark the 200th anniversary of the Royal Astronomical Society. One of the ways the society will celebrate this significant milestone is by running a project to make a commemorative quilt.

200 years ago it was not uncommon for family and community members to come together to stitch quilts, often as a way of marking an important life event. Inspired by the communal and social aspect of the quilting tradition, the RAS is looking for participants to help create a bicentennial quilt.

The quilt will be doubled-sided, measuring approximately 190 x 190 cm. One side will depict the solar system, a homage to astronomer Ellen Baker's spectacular 1876 Solar System quilt (see main image) which she used as a visual aid when giving astronomy lectures. The other side of the quilt will be made in the tradition of patchwork squares stitched together in a grid. Each square will feature images related to astronomy and geophysics. Everyone is welcome to get involved, you don't need to be an expert embroiderer to take part.There are two ways you can contribute:

There are workshops being held ,,,but as far as I can see...we have missed most of them ....and the final one is fully booked.....but we can still be involved (hopefully!!) inmaking the reverse side

Patchwork Squares Side

If you're not able to attend a stitching session you can still contribute to the project by creating a square for the patchwork side of the quilt. Here are a few things to consider when making your square:

• The RAS is not able to provide any materials or equipment to make the squares, you will need to source your own tools and materials.
  • You can use a variety of methods to create the image on your square: embroidery, felt, patchwork, appliqué, printing, fabric paint etc.
  • The square must be made from a light to medium weight fabric with no stretch. Woven fabrics such as cotton or linen are ideal. Knitted or crochet squares will not be incorporated unless they are attached to a cotton or linen backing.
  • Finished squares must measure 25 x 25 cm.
  • Your design must fit within 20 x 20 cm of the square. A 2.5 cm border is required around the edge of your design. This is needed for the seam allowance when the squares are all stitched together.
  • Finished squares can be posted to the address below. Please include your name, email address and what your square depicts (eg: the constellation of Orion). All squares must be received by 1 August 2020.

RAS Bicentennial Quilt

Royal Astronomical Society

Burlington House

Piccadilly

London W1J 0BQ

* Please note that depending on the amount of squares we receive, we cannot guarantee that your square will be included in the final quilt.

Who else feels inspired to take part?
  • Best Rosemary
Eileen Foster18/02/2020 17:15:50
528 forum posts
298 photos

Yes I have just got mine today too and in between the rain when I couldn't dig up plants I read the article. It looks amazing.

regards

Eileen

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
lewis and irene
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues