By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Do you match thread colour to fabric when machine piecing?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret S14/08/2019 11:49:07
3923 forum posts
705 photos

I have seen all these collections of expensive, beautifully curated threads for piecing and quilting. Whilst I would match thread colour to fabric for dressmaking, I do not do this for quilt piecing by machine. I use mainly cream or beige cotton thread and occasionally grey, black or white. It's cheaper and less changing of bobbins. Am I the only one who does this for piecing?

Margaret

Eileen Foster14/08/2019 12:48:07
497 forum posts
289 photos

I tend to use beige or gray depending on whether it is a light or dark fabric. I have several cones of these colours and use them even when dressmaking unless the fabric is sheer then I will colour match. I don't see the point in using a colour match, though I do use a colour match for hand stitching the binding in place.

Eileen x

rosemary Rosenfeld14/08/2019 13:23:06
5706 forum posts
1661 photos
13 articles

I buy lots of cream cotton thread from Empress Mills each FoQ and use that for most things except black or very dark piecing..this year I bought a dark grey as well!

For quilting though..it does vary......I do use coloured threads on the top quite often! Rx

Fiona16/08/2019 11:07:24
3115 forum posts
465 photos

I tend to use off-white, beige or grey for machine piecing unless it's a pure white or dark fabric, when I prefer to match. Much the same for hand piecing.

I tend to use Gutterman polyester but Coats Moon is much cheaper at £1 per reel instead of £10! I do like YLI's bobbin thread, as it's around £7 but much longer and rather fine. I used to use Maderia's bobbin thread but as I like to shop locally when I can, it's usually the Moon thread. To be honest, I could affird to match everything with the Moon thread, but I'm lazy!

The Moon thread is also good for quilting, although my Featherweight isn't so keen on it. May have something to do with the needle on that one, though!

Heather Dale 121/08/2019 04:36:31
1 forum posts

Aurifil most of the time. Usually a cream color.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues