By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sewing machine for quilting

Help me to choose a high-quality sewing machine for quilting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicole Taylor18/03/2019 21:05:14
4 forum posts

I want to buy a sewing machine and use it for quilting as well, so I’m wondering if I need to pay special attention to something when choosing or it doesn't matter? share who have sewing machines and use it for quilting, are they comfortable for patchwork? What features do they have?

I looked at the review of the best machines for quilting and selected several models for myself: Singer Quantum Stylist 9960, Juki TL 2010Qi and Janome MC 8200 QCP. I also heard that many use the Brother NV-400, Janome QC 2325. What do you think?

Margaret S29/03/2019 12:02:14
3874 forum posts
686 photos

Sorry no one has replied Nicole. Don't know why but it took 10 days to appear on my phone, maybe the same for others.

Best to work out what features you are going to need for both dressmaking and quilting and then try before you buy. It's not a case of one machine suiting everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Singer. I only know 2 quilters with Brother, 1 happy the other not so happy. I have no experience of Juki. Janome have a huge range and I own 2, neither of them being the machines you mention.

Good luck with your search. Sewing machines have got very expensive of late!

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 29/03/2019 12:03:07

rosemary Rosenfeld29/03/2019 14:03:57
5610 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Sorry Nicole...your message has only just appeared for me as well! One of the first decisions you will have to make...what is your budget? Are you in a hurry? Certainly..if you can get to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC...then you will be able to try out most makes...and there are often really good offers to be had there! A lot of machines have loads of facilities..most of which you may never use! If you want to quilt large items...then a big throat ( the space to the right of the needle) is really useful! Having said that one of the best quilters I know uses an ordinary Bernina without too many fancy facilities! I was in your situation last Summer and everyone I asked praised a different make...and probably someone else said that they would never have one in the house! I have a Pfaff and am really pleased with it! Sorry I can't be more helpful! Best Rosemary

Eileen Foster29/03/2019 22:04:43
428 forum posts
244 photos

message only just appeared for me too.

I have used many machines over the years and currently I am using a 13yr old Janome memory craft 9500. it suits me for dressmaking, embroidery and I have done all my patchwork & quilting on it too. The only extras I bought for it when I started patchwork 2 yrs ago were a walking foot and a 1/4" foot. it doesn't have a very big 'throat' the gap between the needle and the right hand side but I have managed to manipulate a king sized quilt through it. I tend to do outline quilting so not free motion.

but do try before you buy as it is an expensive outlay.

Eileen x

Irene B04/04/2019 09:48:37
4432 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Nicole, Most sewing machines are suitable for quilting. You will need a walking foot to feed the 3 layers through. I have a Bernina 440 which I have had for years and it suits me very well as I make quilts, and machine quilt with it. I can also free motion quilt small items too. I Make clothes, bags, toys etc.,.

I agree with Rosemary that you should try before you buy and you can do this at the Festival of Quilts (1-4 August). Most sewing machine brands will be there and you can try them all. It also depends what features you would like it to have on your machine.

Irene

Nicole Taylor16/04/2019 21:45:33
4 forum posts
Posted by Irene B on 04/04/2019 09:48:37:

Hi Nicole, Most sewing machines are suitable for quilting. You will need a walking foot to feed the 3 layers through. I have a Bernina 440 which I have had for years and it suits me very well as I make quilts, and machine quilt with it. I can also free motion quilt small items too. I Make clothes, bags, toys etc.,.

I agree with Rosemary that you should try before you buy and you can do this at the Festival of Quilts (1-4 August). Most sewing machine brands will be there and you can try them all. It also depends what features you would like it to have on your machine.

Irene

Thank you for advice!

Nicole Taylor16/04/2019 21:51:36
4 forum posts
Posted by Margaret S on 29/03/2019 12:02:14:

Sorry no one has replied Nicole. Don't know why but it took 10 days to appear on my phone, maybe the same for others.

Best to work out what features you are going to need for both dressmaking and quilting and then try before you buy. It's not a case of one machine suiting everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Singer. I only know 2 quilters with Brother, 1 happy the other not so happy. I have no experience of Juki. Janome have a huge range and I own 2, neither of them being the machines you mention.

Good luck with your search. Sewing machines have got very expensive of late!

Margaret

I agree that choosing a machine must be your individual choice. And its quite difficult to decide without trying really.

Edited By Margaret S on 29/03/2019 12:03:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Sarik
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues