By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Show and Tell 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret S15/02/2019 10:41:37
3868 forum posts
686 photos
That's lovely Rosemary. Did Sheila design it or was it a pattern?

It's Show and Tell here so I have no problem with any quilter posting what they have been working on.

I have noticed a growing trend of quilters turning to crochet, and I have just made a tabard having not done crochet for 40 years! Will post a picture when I have sewn all the ends in.

I would like to crochet a Virus Shawl next and yesterday I met a quilter who has made a small version of one.

It really isn't difficult to learn basic crochet Eileen, and they now have ergonomic, soft handle hooks!

Margaret
rosemary Rosenfeld16/02/2019 13:51:01
5596 forum posts
1544 photos
13 articles

Thank you Margaret.....Sheila had a pattern.....I think it was complete kit from Hobbycraft..... and the yarn was really nice to use....a cotton/acrylic mix! Rx

rosemary Rosenfeld16/02/2019 14:05:21
5596 forum posts
1544 photos
13 articles

I have just found out what "virus shawl" is.........I'm quite tempted myself! Rx

Jayne16/02/2019 18:17:03
673 forum posts
116 photos

I just had to google it too, and have now sent my daughter a message to ask her to teach me to make one. I can hold a hook and yarn and make stitches but I have never been able to follow a crochet pattern, YET.  Christmas '19 here I come.

I love your blankets Rosemary, they are stitched so beautifully and even.

Jayne x

Edited By Jayne on 16/02/2019 18:19:17

Sylvia23/02/2019 17:27:12
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Hi everyone, not been on site much lately but now catching up with all the lovely things. I have seen pics of virus shawls but why are they called that?

A good friend of mine from UK p & q days now only seems to crochet. Like you Jayne I have never been able to follow a pattern.

Jayne11/03/2019 19:43:17
673 forum posts
116 photos

This is my first completed quilt of 2019, I spoke to my cousin on Friday evening and she is feeling very very down at the moment. Her older brother has a new tumour just 2 years after winning the fight against stomach cancer. Her hubby is fighting to keep both retinas attached and functional at the moment and her aged mother is wondering why she's NOT the centre of the universe at the moment. I can't up sticks to go and give her a hug so I've raided my stash over the weekend plus a little bit of fabric for one square and the border. Very basic quilt, the starting squares were 15 1/2" (the size of my big ruler) just stitched and cut into QST, backed by fleece, yes from my stash too, the fleece was bought over to the front rather than binding. It'll be in the post tomorrow to give her a quilty hug.

20190311 - quilt for sue macphie - qst.jpg

Edited By Jayne on 11/03/2019 19:43:58

Sylvia12/03/2019 08:56:21
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Brilliant quilt Jayne love the way the eye wanders around the various striking fabrics and great use of the stash. I should do the same lol xxx

Sorry to hear about all your family problems. Hugs xxx

Jayne12/03/2019 10:23:06
673 forum posts
116 photos

Thank you Sylvia, I have to say the FQs were a 12 pack from Aldi, £6.99 for 12, although the pack of beige/brown that I'd picked up were only 11, hence I had to buy some fabric for one square although it gave me an opportunity to blend in the border fabric. I hate to admit that the fleece was bought to make my daughter a cape/poncho when she was pregnant with Michael, as you can see it never got made and M is at senior school now....

I have been given loads of fabric for charity sewing, but I just have far too much to fill 5 lifetimes let alone one. So I'm giving loads of it to a group in their third year making quilts as Christmas Presents for care leavers, I don't even have time to piece it all, so they are using the bigger pieces for quilt backs, they are going straight to the long armer. The smaller pieces I'm using for syringe driver bags / drawstring bags and period pockets for the Red Box Project / and tissue holders for donations at the hospital, all in descending size order. xx

Carol B14/03/2019 08:47:39
2996 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Jayne,

What a super quilt, love the colours, your cousin is going to feel so loved.

Certainly looks like you are keeping busy with your list of everything to make. Take care of yourself

Thimble face 23x

Margaret S14/03/2019 08:59:59
3868 forum posts
686 photos

Jayne, what a lovely gift for your cousin. Been there,done that with a mother who was less than understanding regarding illness so can understand your cousin's stress. Hope she will find much comfort wrapping herself in your quilt.

Margaret

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
SewAndSo
Sarik
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues