By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

king sized bed quilt to make

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster02/07/2018 17:53:43
462 forum posts
264 photos

My sister in law is 50 in September and my brother has asked me to make her a quilt. He doesn't understand time frames surprise the bed is king sized . is this 5ft wide by 6.1/2ft long?

He has sent me a sample of their wallpaper so I can incorporate the colours and the carpet is deep violet so I am off to buy fabric tomorrow and then I need to plan what design I am going to do. sadly not keen on the colour scheme but I will do my best

rosemary Rosenfeld02/07/2018 18:40:28
5636 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I'm never sure about the size..so I can't help you there...sorry!

Do you have a design in mind? I would probably go for something simple...especially if you have a deadline to meet!

​Best Rosemary

pamela jeffrey02/07/2018 19:04:05
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Best of luck with that request.

I too would keep it simple

Bye Pam

Margaret S02/07/2018 19:15:42
3897 forum posts
693 photos
Hi Eileen

My kingsize bed is 5ft wide by 7ft long. Hope that helps. Must admit that I tend to do 5ft square to sit on the top.

In the time scale you have I would keep it simple. Presume you will be machine quilting, or do you plan on sending it out?

Good luck.

Margaret
Sue 6202/07/2018 22:58:41
593 forum posts
29 photos

WOW Eileen is all I can say. My king size is actually 6' x 7' and I've yet to finish a quilt for it- they're my ufos.

My mistake has definitely been to choose complicated patterns so I agree with everyone in the keep it simple camp!

Look forward to seeing your choice of colours and pattern. Sue*

Eileen Foster03/07/2018 08:29:04
462 forum posts
264 photos

thanks ladies. I think I will go for 6' x7' then it will drape over the sides too.

she loves the sampler type like I did for her grandson so I will be using a range of 121/2" blocks with a border to 'enlarge' it. I just have to chose the blocks and do a few repeats so that it forms a coherent overall pattern.

I will machine it my self as she likes the outline quilting to enhance the patterns in the block.and due to its size it will be quilt as you go, probably in 2' sections [6 blocks deep x5 blocks wide or 5x 4 with sashing in between] and then add 6" of borders. I have been awake a lot in the night mulling this over. I love my family but really they have no idea.

off shopping in about an hour. I will let you see the design and fabrics as soon as I can.

thanks for the support.

Eileen Foster03/07/2018 21:46:51
462 forum posts
264 photos

I have been rummaging through the stash today and I have a lot to choose from.

I have also planned the design using some of the blocks in her grandson's quilt that I made. Their carpet is deep violet and I know I have some in a box which I will use for a 4" border and I think I will use a grey for the outer border.

I will have to decide which fabrics are used for which block. the plan colours are a key for the quilt.

I am doing a butterfly design from quilters cache for the cornerstones and half way down the outer border.

I am also going to incorporate some fabrics from her grandson's quilt too. I have a small butterflies scrap that I may 'scatter' along the border to add interest.

photos to follow

1 is the wall paper

2 the plan

3 the fabrics available.

Eileen Foster03/07/2018 21:56:11
462 forum posts
264 photos

wallpaper.jpg

plan.jpg

fabrics.jpg

I just have to decide which fabrics to go with each block and then start sewing.

but I have to go to wales flat hunting for my daughter in a weeks time so that is 4 days out of action.

Eileen

x

Edited By Eileen Foster on 03/07/2018 21:57:41

pamela jeffrey03/07/2018 22:30:04
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Eileen

I am sure it will look wonderful. Love the pattern and colours.

Sylvia04/07/2018 11:15:47
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Oh Eileen, what a task, but you seem more than "up for it". Well done.

I love the fabrics but do think your design is a LOT of work. Am sure you are much younger than me though so probably more energy.

I did do an enormous wedding quilt for son and d in law. She asked for "whites"!!! I did big quilt as you go blocks using every type of whiteish material I c ould find whether it was cotton or not. Actually turned out rather well.

Must be somewhere in my photos. Maybe in "presents" or something.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Crafting Live
Janome
lewis and irene
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues