By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Knitting and Stitching Show, Olympia

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Emma Kennedy05/03/2018 16:45:59
52 forum posts

Hi all,

As I mentioned, I managed to get to the K&S show last week and as you can imagine it was pretty quiet. My heart went out to all the smaller companies, for whom a stand at a show is a great expense. Overall there seemed to be a stronger focus on knitting, which is always interesting as I used to edit Knitting magazine, so it was nice to see some old faces. Having said that there were a few things definitely worth mentioning. One stand that stood out was a commemorative exhibition stand called WW1 Hearts with a fascinating story behind it. During WW1, fabric hearts filled with sawdust were given to wounded servicemen, to decorate and send back to their loved ones. Untangled threads have made 1,568 replica hearts - one heart to represent each day of WW1 all ready to decorate, with the ‘intention to highlight the benefits of Occupational Therapy and the power of craft, both to heal and to connect people.’ There were some beautiful hearts, both old and new on display. If you are interested in participating or just to have a look, check out their website **LINK**

We also caught up with designer Janet Clare, who is the subject of April issue Patchwork of my Life which was lovely. Her textiles and fabrics for Moda were on display, and great to see the detail up-close.

There were some interesting new companies too, one of which was a print company called Fashion Formula, who will print any design you like on any fabric quality. I loved this idea, as you can design your own fabric, and they will even put it in repeat for you too! www.fashion-formula.com It's a great idea, if you wanted to create something really personal. Even if it was just for a centre piece or something specific within an existing collection of fabrics.

As I mentioned, there was a lot of knitting, yarns and designers, but one designer who crosses over into patchwork was Prilly Lewis. She machine knits and felts to create a fabric which she then cuts up to patchwork, though she called it ‘inlay work’. Her blankets were absolutely lovely- and I wondered if anyone has ever done anything similar? I thought it might be fun to buy charity shop sweaters to felt and try something similar. Personally I wouldn’t be brave enough to hand knit, felt and chop up as an experiment! www.prillylewis.com

So, despite the general quietness, there was some lovely things to see and buy! I just hope the traders managed to sell enough to warrant the cost.

Emma

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues