By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Show and Tell 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster18/12/2018 20:46:13
479 forum posts
276 photos

Thank you Margaret. It was an interesting challenge. I was thinking of a very dark sage green or brown but as I found out with the other one you have to put it onto the fabric , squint and see if it goes.

Jan quilted horizontally 3 rows 5mm apart on each one, each piece using the right colour.... I was wondering about diagonally from each piece to the next of the same colour strip but they are different widths and I don't know if it would distract from the 'curve' of the waves.

Or even in the ditch following it like a flight of steps. What do you think?

I was a bit disappointed that Jan didn't offer any guidance as the best way to quilt it or some other alternatives.

Eileen

Edited By Eileen Foster on 18/12/2018 20:47:32

rosemary Rosenfeld19/12/2018 08:05:18
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

That is a superb piece of work Eileen! I can't help you with the quilting though! Have you tried looking online at other examples and seeing how they have been quilted?Best Rosemary

Margaret S19/12/2018 13:48:55
3911 forum posts
703 photos
Don't do 'in the ditch' down the steps as it would ruin the look of the waves. I would be inclined to diagonally follow the waves.

I presume that you meant Jan's quilting was 5cm not 5mm? That spacing would be about right.

Do you hand quilt? That gives a much softer definition and I actually prefer it.

I think the hardest part of Bargello is deciding how to quilt it. I have to hold my breath and then go for it!

Margaret

Eileen Foster19/12/2018 14:28:13
479 forum posts
276 photos

No I did mean 5mm. each 1" wide piece had 3 lines of quilting in it! She did win an award for it. I dread to think how long she took to do it. Or am I mixing it up with one of her other designs? Possibly. but I remember thinking that's a lot of thread and time )

I have hand quilted in the past but I don't know if I have the patience these days, though sitting watching tv at the same time might be worth thinking about.

Eileen

x

Margaret S31/12/2018 10:07:24
3911 forum posts
703 photos

Probably my last project of the year. The Tied Knot Bag, a design by Lee Brown

A combination of a chenille evening and a bag making Saturday. Nowhere on the pattern did it say the finished size of the bag and it has turned out small, being 12" wide x 11" high. The handles and top decoration are interesting, tubes of fabric tied with a simple knot.

Margaret

The Tied Knot Bag

Margaret S31/12/2018 10:11:18
3911 forum posts
703 photos

The photo of this bag lay on it's side when I uploaded it. I deleted it and went back to the original and cropped it a tiny bit and for some reason it then loaded the right way up. Maybe this will solve our photos laying on their sides?

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld31/12/2018 12:23:12
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

Love the knotted details Margaret..and thanks for the suggestion about uploading photos! Rx .

rosemary Rosenfeld31/12/2018 15:51:45
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

xmas tree.jpg

Here is the quilt I mentioned earlier....based on one shown on Missouri Star......but with a few adaptations!

rosemary Rosenfeld31/12/2018 15:55:01
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

robin 4 sheila.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo.....but this is one of my additions.

Sheila had a "thing" about robins....she always said that when a robin appeared....a loved one was near.....so my quilt has a robin!! Rxx

Eileen Foster31/12/2018 17:38:48
479 forum posts
276 photos

lovely work ladies. the bag looks stunning Margaret. The quilt looks lovely Rosemary and the details of the robin are so pretty.

My mum used to say that about robins too. A robin was the first bird we saw in the garden on returning from her funeral. My eldest girl, who was 3 at the time, spotted it and asked if that was nana coming to wish us happy Christmas. her funeral was Christmas eve 1995. She must have heard someone mention robins, but I don't remember doing it.

Eileen

x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
Janome
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues