By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hi from a newbie!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Helen Thomas 110/10/2017 12:46:01
7 forum posts

Hi, I'm Helen and I've joined from not so sunny Dorset.

Have been quilting for a while but I still don't know a lot about the technical side of things - thread and fabric types, troubleshooting etc.

I have been using the youtube tutorials from Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Co, they are great.

Would love to get to know some other quilters and crafty types

Eileen Foster10/10/2017 21:44:00
479 forum posts
276 photos

Hi Helen,

I joined the forum recently too and I have had lots of help from members here. I don't use you-tube and but books and trial and error. So Far so good.

I started quilting in February but have been sewing, knitting and embroidering for 50+yrs.

I am in East Yorkshire so quite a way away from you.

Helen Thomas 114/10/2017 11:58:07
7 forum posts

Hi Eileen,

50+ years is a long time! I've only been sewing for around 7 years. Oddly enough, I was rubbish at it when I was younger but I was diagnosed with MS in 2010 and it seems to have brought out a creative side!

Eileen Foster14/10/2017 22:38:46
479 forum posts
276 photos

My mum taught me the basics of crewel embroidery when I was 5 and I was making my own clothes [simple dresses and skirts from the age of 10. I have picked up most sewing crafts by the time I was 20 but cant crochet anything but a simple chain smiley.

my mum in law had MS and she found she could paint better than before. funny isn't it how our brains work?

Helen Thomas 114/10/2017 22:44:24
7 forum posts

I would so love to be able to make my own clothes! I've looked at patterns but they are quite terrifying

I taught myself to crochet last year and can do it quite well but I really wanted to be able to knit. Can't manage the two needles though

It really is! If you'd told me when I was younger that I'd be addicted to fabric and sewing, I'd have said you were barking. I think there must be a lesion in the part of the brain that affects creativity so it comes out more. So fascinating

Sylvia15/10/2017 17:56:08
2086 forum posts
342 photos

Welcome Helen. Oooh yes, it is very addictive, join the clan.

Lovely to see you two newbies chatting to each other. Am sure you will enjoy this forum Helen, know that Eileen does, just ask anything we are all very friendly.

Just for info I live on Mallorca, am English, and have sewn most of my life. Started quilting with U.S. ladies I met when we lived in Italy many years ago.

Glenda F15/10/2017 20:35:11
1643 forum posts
218 photos

Welcome Helen .

I have been sewing as long as I can remember then went on to art collage to learn a lot about designing clothes but did not start patchwork untill about 10 years ago now totally addictive to it but do not have as much time as I want for it as work gets in the way

I live in Kent

Glenda

Carol B20/10/2017 11:54:49
3002 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Welcome Helen,

sounds like you are picking up on quilting quickly, don't worry about all the technical side, it is amazing how you pick up information as you go, as long as you are enjoying it all. And Youtube tutorials are great for starting you off.

Carol B face 23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues