By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

skipped stitches, bobbin thread not picking up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Helen Thomas 110/10/2017 12:42:58
7 forum posts

Hi,

I've been quilting for a while but am still a newbie when it comes to technical stuff.

I'm currently making a playmat with 6oz wadding and when I started topstitching through the layers, it started skipping stitches or the stitches were really tiny.

I cleaned everything out, changed the needle and tried again, but same thing. So I did some research and bought some quilting needles in size 90/14 and 75/11. Tried the 90/14 and while it will work on some things, it's still not working for the playmat. It wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread, or when it did, it would still skip stitches.

So my question is - do I need a different needle or am I doing something wrong?

The only place to buy needles where I live is Wilkinsons and obvs they don't carry all the different types. I don't really want to have to buy different types online only for the problem to still be there

Thanks in advance!

Margaret S10/10/2017 15:21:01
3905 forum posts
697 photos
Welcome to the Forum Helen.

What machine have you got? 6oz wadding sounds very thick and if your machine is working o.k. for everything else it could be that it just doesn't like this thickness.

Maybe go up to a size 16 needle. Have you got your feed dogs up? Very small stitches sounds as if it is not feeding through quick enough. Are you using your walking foot and a larger stitch length than normal? Are you going slowly enough?

Having said all that I tried to quilt a top with a fleece backing yesterday. Said I would do it for a friend! It was a b! Missed stitches and broken threads everywhere. My usually reliable machine did not like the cheap fleece.

If you try some of these ideas and it is still the same, come back and we may have other ideas.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 10/10/2017 15:40:55

Helen Thomas 110/10/2017 17:00:17
7 forum posts

Than ks Margaret.

I have a Brother Innovis - 10, it's a great machine usually. I do have the feed dogs up but I am just using the normal presser foot. Have done a bit more research and think I shall have to invest in a proper walking foot

This is what I mean by not knowing the technical stuff!

I have yet to try sewing with fleece! Have given it some thought though, there are some very cool hat patterns out there

Margaret S10/10/2017 17:19:18
3905 forum posts
697 photos
A normal foot will not cope with that thickness. You really will need it for sewing fleece too.

Decent quality fleece would not have been a problem. I was provided with a very cheap fleece blanket from a supermarket!

Margaret
Helen Thomas 110/10/2017 17:49:26
7 forum posts

Ah right. Thanks for the advice! And good luck with your project!

Eileen Foster10/10/2017 21:40:33
474 forum posts
276 photos

I had this problem until I bought a walking foot . I also played around with the tensions and that made a difference too.

I bought quilting needles on line and this made a difference too. I am also new to quilting since February and it is a steep learning curve.

Helen Thomas 114/10/2017 11:59:32
7 forum posts

I have now bought a walking foot, used it for the firs time yesterday and wow, what a difference!

Thanks for all your help everyone

Eileen Foster14/10/2017 22:33:06
474 forum posts
276 photos

isn't it fantastic? I was amazed at how much it improved the feed of the fabric. happy sewing Helen.

Eileen

x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues