By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Grandmother's garden: quilting layers together

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Elizabeth Puddick22/06/2017 09:10:47
1 forum posts

I have made a king sized grandmother's garden and layered it with backing and polyester wadding. I would like to secure the layers together but unsure of the best way.

I could hand stitch (but the stitching on the backing could be uneven),

I could machine stitch (but as the edges are small hexagons and the quilt being so bulky potentially very awkward)

or I could make small ties to secure the layers

As the quilt has taken over 40 years to make I want it to be perfect. Any suggestions please.

Carol B26/06/2017 15:00:23
3000 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Hi Elizabeth,

you could tie the quilt or possibly hand stitch Algerian eye stitch into the centres of some of the hexagons creating a pattern both front and back of the quilt.

Carol B face 23

Margaret S26/06/2017 17:07:21
3882 forum posts
687 photos
Sorry Elizabeth, somehow I missed this post. Congratulations on sticking with this quilt for so long! Well done.

I like the idea of tying and Carol's suggestion too. I have used some of the fancy stitches on my machine to quilt around hexies, but they were big hexies and a much smaller quilt. I think it would be too difficult for a quilt your size.

Margaret
Stereochild27/06/2017 14:23:11
171 forum posts
89 photos

Congrads Elizabeth - I am doing a single hexie quilt and it seems to be taking forever to quilt it!!

Letiaface 9

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
Sarik
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues