By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help... basting problems!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jo Woodnutt23/05/2017 07:49:24
2 forum posts
2 photos

Morning all,

I am new to this quilting lark, having completed just one tiny quilt (I've also got another near-completion, just plucking up the energy to do that fiddly binding finish!). I'm really enjoying making the tops, but I have to admit the quilting bit itself is getting the better of me!

The last time I quilted on my machine (husqvarna Viking h class, nothing too fancy, with a walking foot and feed dogs up) I ended up with a sickeningly rumpled backing layer. This is annoying as I spent a LOT of time flattening it all and trying to make it perfect before I started, and I even unpicked the first few rows and tried again. It's still bumpy, but I'm chalking it down to a learning experience and hoping that washing it will help a little. What I'm not sure is whether I didn't pin it flat enough in the first place, or whether it's all down to the stretch of the fabric along the bias (I square-cut the backing, then sewed diagonal quilt lines.... hindsight is an exact science, it wasn't until after that I realised part of the reason for my problem might be that the backing is stretching along the bias and the topper isn't!)

I'm now on my next quilt and am too scared to start sewing on the machine in case it happens again thinking I was wondering if anybody had some advice? I haven't tried spray basting as it seems fairly expensive and these quilts aren't for sale, they're just for fun. However, if it's the only way it'll work I guess I'll have to splash out! I have flattened it out on the floor and put pins in every 5cm or so. When I flip it over, the back appears slightly rumpled still. Does that mean I haven't done it right? No matter how much spreading I do I don't seem to be able to make it completely unruffled...

(I would attach a picture of the new quilt here but right now it isn't letting me... I'll try again in a bit)

Thanks in advance!

Jo

Jo Woodnutt23/05/2017 12:11:15
2 forum posts
2 photos

image.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Janome
Sarik
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues