By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Problems with dyes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Winnie the B.O.L.B21/05/2017 13:37:34
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

BEWARE BATIKS!! I absolutely love them and I use them at every opportunity. So far, so good - until this morning!! I had just finished quite a complicated block and there was a half square triangle that was a bit creased and just the iron wasn't making it as smooth as I wanted it to be so I sprayed it with a tiny drop of water; hey presto, the dye ran all over between the minute piece of batik and the all the surrounding cream solids!!!! Now, the advice with batiks - that I have had, at least - is not to pre-wash, so I don't and I haven't had a problem before this but I have had to unpick and redo quite a large part of this block in order to replace the parts where the dye bled over!! Grrrrrr. It won't stop me loving batiks but it will make me more aware of the possible pitfalls.

Tessa22/05/2017 10:27:28
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Morning Winnie, I too love Batiks. I have never had the need to pre-wash them either...BUT if I do feel there may be the chance of a colour running, especially reds and purples...I will pre-wash in water with a bit of salt in it, in the hopes that it will help to colour fast the dyes.

Otherwise, Batiks are my favourite and have now tried dying my own fabric scraps using Brusho Paint Crystals and Egyptian cotton in a jam jar. Now that's an experiment that you never know what you are going to get.

Tessa x

Margaret S22/05/2017 10:29:23
3905 forum posts
697 photos

Winnie

I had the same problem when we were making one of the heart quilts. Used a damp pressing cloth to remove some creases and red ran into all the whites! I think that there are the proper wax resist Batiks, which shouldn't run because they have been repeatedly washed and those fabrics that look like Batiks but haven't gone through the wax treatment. I must admit that I was a bit suspicious when I ordered this particular batch of fabrics from an outlet that I hadn't used before as it seemed much softer than my other Batiks. You live and learn and I will test samples before I use them again. I went 'Grrrrrr' too!

Margaret

Tessa22/05/2017 10:31:40
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

I agree Margaret...there are Batiks and then there are 'batiks'....and such a difference in the quality. Hope you are well Margaret. I haven't been on the website for some time...so much to think about these days..the mind wanders.

Tessa xx

Margaret S22/05/2017 10:48:59
3905 forum posts
697 photos

Great to see you on here again Tessa. I have missed you. There have been so many changes here. Take care.

Margaret xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Crafting Live
Search Press
Sarik
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues