Hexagons on the sewing machine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brenda in OZ31/03/2017 01:14:14
480 forum posts
155 photos
33 articles

Hi Everyone,

Do you like the look of hexagons? I love them in any fabric but making them by hand takes such a long time.

Some members of our quilt group requested a workshop to learn how to make hexagons on the sewing machine. I expected 8 or 10 members to turn up but on the day we had 18! It was a fun day and we achieved a lot.

Do any of you have pictures of items that you have made using hexagons on the sewing machine? Please post them if you have.

You make them one row at a time. They are very easy providing you keep the pieces in order, we found numbered pins were very useful.

Since then we have tried mixing hexagons with triangles and that gives a different look.

finished cushion small.jpg

01s.jpg

02s.jpg

rosemary Rosenfeld31/03/2017 08:35:34
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Love these Brenda.....like you ,,,,,,I love hexagons but can never face sewing them by hand!

best Rosemary

Margaret S31/03/2017 10:34:28
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Here is a quilt that I made in 2015 using the Sizzix Half Hexie Die. Easy to stitch by machine and then I used one of the machine embroidery stitches to quilt around each hexagon. I donated it to the local Girl Guides and they used it as a raffle prize. Yes, numbering is the key!!!

Sizzix Half Hexie Lap Quilt

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 31/03/2017 10:36:08

Sylvia31/03/2017 17:33:30
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Can one of you explain briefly how to put hexies together by machine please.

rosemary Rosenfeld31/03/2017 17:51:29
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Hi Sylvia.....You sew together half hexagons a top half and a bottom one in order! And then make another row making sure you get them in the correct order... and join them together! And repeat as many times as needed!

I hope this makes sense? I'll try to make some pictures over the weekend if I can!

Best Rosemary

Margaret S31/03/2017 17:54:40
3884 forum posts
691 photos
Hi Sylvia

I used my Sizzix but it is easier for you to watch a youtube video by Missouri Star Quilt Co than for me to explain half hexies. Look for Missouri Star Quilt Co Using 5" Half Hexi Ruler. Very simple when you know how!

Margaret
Margaret S31/03/2017 18:02:37
3884 forum posts
691 photos
Hi Sylvia

Rosemary is right. It's as simple as that!

Brenda may have used another way with her hexies and triangles. You take a whole hexi and sew a triangle on to the top right side. You take a second hexi and sew a triangle onto the bottom left side. You butt the two together and join the seam formed by the triangles. Continue and this forms a straight row.

Well I think that's how you do it!

Margaret
Brenda in OZ01/04/2017 01:46:09
480 forum posts
155 photos
33 articles

Margaret, your quilt is beautiful! Our group has a gadget similar to your Sizzix and they are very good. Does it waste much fabric? Using decorative stitches for quilting is a good idea, we don't use them enough.

I had a look at your suggestion Sylvia. Do you still have to tackle "Y" seams when you join the rows?

I have uploaded a few pictures which might help. I worked with 2½ -inch wide jelly roll strips. You need to make a template for accurate cutting.

Take a piece of paper 5½ x 2½ -inches. Fold in half with the fold to the right and from the bottom left hand corner draw a 60 degree line to the top edge. Cut along this line. Open up and copy to a plastic template. Cut across the two bottom corners ¼-inch to make it easier to match your seams. (These drawings are not to scale!)

The template includes a ¼-inch seam allowance.

template1.jpg template.jpgarrange2.jpg

A design board is very useful to lay out your half hexagons. Begin with one row, number your pieces and join them in order. Lay out the second row and repeat the process. Continue adding rows. My floor cushion measures 24 x 24 - inches with 12 rows and 7 pieces to each row.

I hope this helps.

Brenda in OZ

Margaret S01/04/2017 08:24:30
3884 forum posts
691 photos
Brenda

I was a bit out in remembering the instructions for hexies and triangles. Because you are making parallelograms there are no "y" seams.

Accuquilt have a good tutorial. Look for " Accuquilt Easy Baby Quilt using hexagons and equilateral triangles"

As regards my half hexie quilt, there was a bit of waste compared with using templates, but it was minimal and as I was using purely scraps I didn't mind.

Margaret
Sylvia01/04/2017 13:28:47
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Thanks very much ladies, I see it now. Using half hexies makes it possible. I couldn't think how one could do it by machine with whole ones.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues