By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Patchwork and quilting software

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marion Smith16/06/2008 20:34:00
3 forum posts
I'm fairly new to quilting and have a quilt designed in my mind but I need to set pen to paper.  I wonder if anybody has used quilting software?  If so, how do you find it.  It seems to me to be a really good idea but would love some feedback before I invest.
Alison17/06/2008 10:47:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Marion,

I use Quilt Pro 5 to help design quilts, it does everything I need to get an idea of what the quilt will look like when finished. It will calculate how much material you need to buy, but I find that it is best to use this as a guide, I like to have more than enough just in case.

It has a library of blocks and drawing your own is easy with a little practise.

There is also a fabric library to which you can add your own fabric if you want, provided you have a scanner. 

I  enjoy English paper piecing, and the template part of the program allows me to print pages of templates which are ready to cut and use, no more drawing around plastic templates, it saves so much time.

The program does many other things as well, which I haven't got round to using yet.

Hope this helps,

Alison. 

Marion Smith17/06/2008 10:54:00
3 forum posts
That's great, thanks Alison
Caz17/06/2008 19:06:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Marion, as a newbie I use Quilt Wizard which, compared to quilt pro 5, is very basic. It has a limited library of blocks and fabrics, but it gives you printable instructions for quilts.

Caz.  

Marion Smith17/06/2008 19:51:00
3 forum posts

Thanks Caz.  I've just order Quilt Pro 5, so I'm looking forward to receiving it so I can plan my next quilt!

Marion

Liz Bonsell04/08/2008 14:27:00
3 forum posts

Hi, I've read the above comments with interest and wondered if anybody has used EQ6 (Electric Quilt) software, and do they have any idea as to how it compares to Quilt Pro5?  I'm currently using Corel Draw which allows me to draw and control the fill of blocks but it is a drawing package and I bet the designers never considered it being used for quilts!

Liz

Francoise Vrabel09/09/2008 10:30:00
126 forum posts
22 photos

I've just been looking at quilt software and have decided to spend my money on fabric instead. It's easy enough to download graph paper and various grids for free , then play around with coloured pencils.

Francoise 

Babs09/09/2008 12:28:00
385 forum posts
74 photos
9 articles
Francoise, I absolutely agree and that's how I set about designing a quilt. Start with a scribble. I bought a Quilt - Pro package years ago - used it a couple of times - was fiddly (in those days) and found it dampened my creativity. Package may have improved but I find a sketch book plus water-colour pencil crayons best suited to my creative needs. Babs.
Jenny B18/11/2008 17:02:00
80 forum posts
65 photos

I was given a quilt designing programme but I never even undid the package as i prefere to scribble a design and see how it works out. perhaps if I was more confident on the computer it would be more interesting

rosemary Rosenfeld20/12/2015 18:25:06
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Hi All....I am planning a new quilt for No1 son and girlfriend! I thought it might be easier using the computer since they live near Leamington Spa! That was until I saw just how much it cost ....... EQ7 is now over £140.00!!! Is there anything else out there? Is it worth spending that much? Any help/remarks/suggestions gratefully received!

Best Rosemary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
Sarik
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues