By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Janome Memory Craft 6600

Free motion quilting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sylvia16/06/2008 20:07:00
2186 forum posts
367 photos

Has anyone found a way of stopping the 6600 top thread going to underside and forming a "nest"  each time you re-start free motion quilting ?   This machine doesn't like having the bobbin thread pulled up to the top before starting which is essential for my Pfaff .  Other than this, and the fact that I have to check that the thread is properly through the tension wire (it seems to jump out sometimes) it is an excellent quilting machine and deals wonderfully with all my really difficult threads.

Would be delighted to correspond with any other 6600 owners.

Alison17/06/2008 10:17:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Sylvia,

I realy like my 6600, compared to my old machine it purrs. I had never tried free motion quilting until I got it, with my old machine I just didn't have the control necessary. 

Although I am still very much a novice, I have not had any real trouble pulling the bobbin thread up to the top when starting quilting, but sometimes it may not happen on the first attempt. Then holding the two ends when starting avoids the nest. I get 'nests'  when sewing sharp corners in my free motion quilting but I know that is me not the machine, so I only quilt curves which solves that problem until I find time to practise. If you have any hints on how to do points they will be very gratefully received.

Alison. 

Sylvia18/06/2008 11:51:00
2186 forum posts
367 photos

Hi Alison

Strange but I don't have any problem with points.  I usually quilt with the needle down option on, perhaps this helps.  Sometimes I swing the work around under the needle when it's down to see what I am doing more clearly.  I have just been doing trees with sharp points and they are fine.

I will try again bringing the two threads up and see if that solves the nest problem.  It certainly does with my Pfaff.

Sylvia

Rochelle Hill18/06/2008 23:04:00
4 forum posts

Hello!

I find that if I quilt points with my walking foot it is fine - no bobbles underneath, but if I'm free motioning then I can get a bit of a build-up.  It's because I go too fast <g> and too many stitches happen in the same place.  So, theoretically if you're free-motioning you should go slow at points.  Hmmm.......

Rochelle

The Quilting Granny

Alison19/06/2008 08:38:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Rochelle,

Thanks for the tip, I shall make a practise sandwich with some 'ugly' material and give it a go.

Alison. 

Rochelle Hill19/06/2008 09:43:00
4 forum posts

Alison,  

If you manage it, it'll be a case of, "do what I say not what I do!"  Sometime I must try following my own advice and seeing what happens........

Off to do ironing, yawn!

Rochelle

The Quilting Granny

Sylvia25/06/2008 21:10:00
2186 forum posts
367 photos

Carrying on with the Janome 6600 threads:

I have seen threads somewhere about metal -v- plastic bobbins.  Any comments from anyone about use of metal ones in the 6600?  I guess one shouldn't use metal ones??  Is tempting because I have a couple of packs which will fit and as I live in Andorra can't get supplies here.

Priscilla26/06/2008 19:42:00
95 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Sylvia, I purchased a Janome machine and was having a few tension problems. 

On taking it back to the firm for help, I was immediately told my problem was, using up metal bobbins even though they did fit.  Evidently it upsets the balance of the tension and the new machines need the correct plastic bobbins for trouble free stitching and tension.

I have experienced no problems since.

Sylvia27/06/2008 19:45:00
2186 forum posts
367 photos

Thanks Priscilla. 

That is what I suspected.  I certainly find the tension very good with the plastic ones.

Oh well, I shall just have to purchase lots more.  I never seem to have the thread I want to use on a bobbin.

Priscilla27/06/2008 20:22:00
95 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Sylvia,

I have been free machine quilting today and found the thread from one of my variegated top spools would keep shredding and then breaking.  I found if I loosened the tension just 2 knotches (even though my machine works best on auto tension) it stopped this and accepted the thread from then on.

If you keep an odd 12" quilt sandwich, beside your machine, you can test your cottons/threads and tensions on this without ruining your special piece of work.

When you first start off with free machining, start off slowly for the first few stitches before you put your foot to the floor ! !

Waiting to see a masterpiece soon.

Priscilla.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues