By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Easy cutting projects

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Laurel Byrne28/10/2016 20:36:31
13 forum posts
22 photos

i teach beginners and improvers and have the nicest lady who can not cut accurately. She has completed the beginners year twice and has not improved at all. She is making log cabin blocks using a jelly roll but I am running out of ideas to move her on. I end up cutting her fabric for her at class but when she goes home and tries on her own, it is a disaster. She knows she has a problem but loves coming. Anyone got any suggestions please ?

Margaret S28/10/2016 21:22:54
3884 forum posts
691 photos
How about crazy or maybe improv log cabin using the strips as they come and squaring up afterwards, or Gees Bend style? Can she afford a cheap die cutting machine like the Sizzix Big Shot, or does someone have one and could cut pieces for her?

Margaret
Eileen Heathorn29/10/2016 10:00:34
365 forum posts
34 photos

Set her some shapes to cut and mark the sizes on the ruler with tape. Concentrate on cutting one size shape at a time. Maybe a 9 patch block.

E

rosemary Rosenfeld29/10/2016 11:38:28
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Hi Laurel! Do you know what the problem actually is? Can you tell if you watch when she cuts a shape? Is it that the ruler slips? Is it do do with her eyesight? If the former...... then there are things that would help! If the latter...... then Eileen's idea of putting tape on is a good one! I often do that myself if I am cutting a lot of identical shapes and don't want to have to remember each time!!

Margaret's idea of making "freer" blocks is also a good one but I can see that eventually greater accuracy may be needed!...Maybe practice will make perfect!

Sorry I can't offer anything more to help!

best Rosemary

Laurel Byrne29/10/2016 18:13:26
13 forum posts
22 photos

Thank you all for your ideas. I think she has a combination of issues, unsteady hands being one. She is better with jelly rolls but the rest of the group will be learning other techniques. An accuquilt would be great, might see if I can get funding for one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues