By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cmacg30/08/2016 00:00:52
5 forum posts

Hello, my name is Carmel and I live in Ireland. I started quilting and appliqué as a hobby a few years ago. I made several wall hangings etc. I am now nearly ready with a Carrie Hall sampler to put it together. I was at the show in Birmingham and really enjoyed it. After clearing out the spare room I am now thinking about buying a sewing cabinet. I have been looking at the Horn quilter. They are a lot of money and I'm wondering if I can justify the cost but it would be really great not to have to keep moving the machine from the kitchen table. This site looks really good and I can see me spending lots of time on it..

Carol Dodge30/08/2016 10:04:06
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi Carmel and welcome. Lots of fun and friendly advise on here. Also lots to take part in if you want.

I was lucky enough to purchase a cabinet at our local shop that sells second hand furniture. Got a very good deal and it had an old sewing machine with it.

Edited By Carol Dodge on 30/08/2016 10:07:15

Beryl Hedley30/08/2016 10:05:58
821 forum posts
145 photos

Welcome Carmel. I'm sure you will enjoy this group.

I can not give you any advice on the Horn cabinet but they are lovely.

I am fortunate to have a room for all my sewing things so don't have the problem you have.

I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Beryl

Jayne30/08/2016 10:24:07
675 forum posts
118 photos

Hello and welcome to a friendly world where you always be broke having bought another fat quarter....

If you have room to put a second table, then there is a fair table for around £25 at IKEA or they have a shelving system that is good for storage and cutting/ironing on with a table top. I've seen the Horn cabinets at FOQ and I couldn't justify them.

**LINK** alex drawers and Linnmon table top

**LINK** Kalax shelves make nice supports for the table tops too...

Margaret S30/08/2016 11:00:22
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Welcome Carmel. You will enjoy it here.

I have looked at Horn cabinets and cannot justify the cost - think of all the fabric that you could buy instead! I think that it really depends on whether you plan to put your machine away when you are not using it, or whether it can sit covered on a table.

Margaret

Cmacg30/08/2016 12:07:12
5 forum posts

I can relate to what Jayne says about being broke with regard to patchwork - there is always something tempting. I would have to order the cabinet online as Horn don't have any outlets in Ireland. I wasn't overly interested in them at the FOQ, bad timing to change my mind. Its too much money to buy on spec so I will have to get something else until I get a chance again to have a proper look at them.

Whenever I manage to get my quilt finished I will put up a photo.

Carol B30/08/2016 16:25:55
3000 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Welcome Carmel, I am sure you will enjoy visiting this forum.

Hope you manage to set your machine up to suit you. I don't have a cabinet, just have my machine on a table top, luckily the table is the correct height for me and the machine, something to think about when buying a table or cabinet.

Good luck

Carol Bface 23

June30/08/2016 17:51:20
335 forum posts
55 photos

Hello and welcome Carmel,

I looked at cabinets too but felt they were to restricting (plus very expensive!) I started off with my old study desk from Ikea with nice white Billy bookcases (also from Ikea). As I needed more work space I looked for other ideas and a friend put me onto this table **LINK** (can't do the nice linky thing I'm afraid). Now have two of these forming an 'L' shape and am really pleased with them; they're very sturdy and best of all there's lots of space under them for storing things! Plus they fold down very neatly and easily so I can move them easily when ever I want.

The only advice I would give you would be to clearly decide what you and get what works for you. Make it up as you go and enjoy the process of designing your studio!

June x

pamela jeffrey31/08/2016 09:07:17
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Hello Carmel

Hope you find the cabinet you want.

Bye Pam

Eileen Heathorn31/08/2016 09:39:33
365 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Carmel

Welcome to the group. Have a look on ebay for a cabinet.

Regards E

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
C&T publishing
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues