Gadgets!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brenda in OZ06/07/2016 03:38:14
486 forum posts
157 photos
33 articles

Hi Everyone,

What is your favourite quilting gadget? Thought I might share this one with you.

I'm not really a "Gadget Queen" I have my cutting board & rotary cutter plus half a dozen basic rulers and general sewing things but the other day I bought something cheap and cheerful that I've already used.

It was a pack of 20 quilting pins with numbers from 1-20 printed on the pin heads. I bought them on ebay for $10.50 including postage (around 5 pounds). They've been useful to keep track of my patches and help to sew the seams in the correct sequence.

Katy06/07/2016 11:40:36
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I like the look of those pins Brenda. I'm not sure what my favourite gadget is, but I am very fond of my bobbin case. We had a thread in 2009, where Joan wanted to practise quilitng, and I sent her this small top to practise on, . She sent me a bobbin organiser as a thank you, and it has been very well used, and is really useful. It is just the right size, and works really well

Irene B06/07/2016 14:35:46
4433 forum posts
405 photos

I invested in an A3 LED wafer light box which I find invaluable for tracing stuff for applique and for lettering. I always used to use the kitchen window when the sun was about to trace stuff, but it is so much more comfortable having the LED light....plus it is usually night time when I want to do something. rose

Edited By Irene B on 06/07/2016 14:36:15

Margaret S06/07/2016 16:38:03
3905 forum posts
697 photos
My all time favourites are my Sizzix die cutting machines.

As I very rarely mark a quilt top with a pen or pencil or chalk, I am very fond of a Hera marker for marking straight quilting lines.

Margaret
Fiona06/07/2016 18:19:52
3113 forum posts
463 photos

I fancy those pins to but they're too expensive here. I also like my cutting machines, light box, various bobbin holders and hera marker, too.

I have a small rotating cutting mat which is very handy and my mini ironing table will be incerdibly useful once i get back to sewing properly. I've had lots of gadgets given to me as presents but I would think the most useful are rotary cutters - a giant 60mm one makes short work of cutting up to 6 or even 8 layers at once. And a 28mm one is brilliant at cutting roound acrylic templates.

I also always have some 1/4" masking/ quilter's tape handy for marking lines temporarily for hand quilting. And a Pritt stick for holding things in place. (I find it's just as good as expensive sewing glue pens but cheaper and last longer, has to be Pritt though!)

Diane Ford06/07/2016 18:49:08
469 forum posts
60 photos

My favourite gadget has to be my Clover Leather Thimble.

We had to wear metal thimbles when I did needlework at school, and after struggling with them at first, I eventually got used to wearing one. Back then I used to bite my nails, but after I stopped biting my nails at the age of 23 (there was no time to bite my nails having two very lively babies just 12 months apart, lol) I was never really comfortable wearing a metal thimble, but I had difficulty doing hand sewing without one.

I had never seen a leather thimble "in real life" because I couldn't find any locally, and the price seemed high for something I wasn't sure would be suitable for me, but in March this year I decided to treat myself to a leather thimble for birthday. As I had to buy it online, I wasn't sure what size to order, but the medium size turned out to be a perfect fit, and I absolutely love it. I just wish I'd been able to get one forty years earlier.

Diane

Clover Leather Thimble

Margaret S06/07/2016 19:41:20
3905 forum posts
697 photos
I thought those pins were a good idea but too expensive here. My d.i.y effort was to buy a pack of alphabet beads from a cheap shop and mount them on safety pins. ABC etc works for me.
I always use a thimble, different sizes for Summer and Winter, but I have never tried a leather one. Must give it a try.
Margaret
Brenda in OZ07/07/2016 00:13:11
486 forum posts
157 photos
33 articles

Thank you girls for your input! Perhaps I am a gadget queen after all!

Love the quilt block Katy!

I have all the gadgets you mentioned except the cutter but we do have one to share at our quilting group. My bobbin holder is in the shape of a doughnut and made from flexible rubber. It keeps the bobbins in place even if you knock it on the floor. 

My other two gadgets I like are my Clover bias makers and I always keep a wooden skewer by the machine to save stitching my fingers.

I did have one cheaper solution to the numbered pins: why not mark a set of flower head pins with a fine "Sharpie"? Even cheaper

pins.jpg

Edited By Brenda in OZ on 07/07/2016 00:15:11

Irene B07/07/2016 08:33:46
4433 forum posts
405 photos

I have a chop stick to poke out the corners of cushion covers etc.,!

I like your idea of the flower head pins and using a sharpie to mark them Brenda x rose

Diane Ford07/07/2016 13:39:41
469 forum posts
60 photos

Irene

I always have a chopstick and a bamboo skewer in my sewing kit for that reason.

As well as my Clover Leather Thimble, I have something else from Clover that I considered to be an extravagance when I made my purchase, but I wouldn't want to be without now - my Clover Wonder Clips. I particularly like mine because they're pink.

Diane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues