By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Borders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Patricia Fox 104/06/2016 15:24:57
14 forum posts

Need advice after I decided to alter a quilt. Completed the top part of the quilt and quilted as you go sewing all the top bits, batting and backing together.

However have now decided to add a border which looks difficult as I have almost completed the quilt. Do I just cut strips for approx 3 inch border and add the batting and the backing together, then attach to the main quilt. Will this be difficult as so thick as when attaching I am going to have two lots of everything. main. batting and backing.

Or do you ladies know an easier way for me to do it.

Thanks

rosemary Rosenfeld04/06/2016 17:26:14
5685 forum posts
1659 photos
13 articles

lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2011/04/quilt-as-you-go-joining-blocks.html

Hi Patricia...... the above address shows one way of joining blocks and could work with adding borders in exactly the same way. There are several other possibilities..... I would put "joining quilt as you go blocks" into which ever search engine you use and look through until you see one that looks "right" for you. Do you want to use joining strips or not? That is really the first decision to be made....... that will affect how you can "do" the joining. Have a look and then come back and ask again if you are still not very clear!

Sorry not to be more help but everyone has a slightly different method...... we have all found one which suits us!

Best Rosemary

Edited By Katy on 06/06/2016 09:19:33

Katy06/06/2016 09:26:03
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hi Patricia

There are a number of ways to do this, most of which are discussed here

If you are ok with adding narrow sashing strips between your top and borders, then you won't have double layers of wadding/backing etc and it will work. The principle for adding a border is exactly the same as joining two blocks. You need to quilt each section and join them with sashing strips front and back.

If you don't want sashing strips, you might be stuck. The method for joining without sashing strips means you need to have left a unquilted area on the top, and I don't expect you did that if you were planning on finishing the top without borders.

Good luck, let us know if you need more explanation

Claire Bear07/06/2016 13:29:37
1846 forum posts
411 photos

This is a great question as I have a quilt as you go quilt that needs borders added to it but I forgot to leave enough wadding on the sides for the border.!

Very useful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues