By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cutting borders for quilts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Claire Bear27/05/2016 18:36:44
1846 forum posts
411 photos

Ladies,

When you have completed your blocks and sewn them together for the quilt top what are your techniques to then measure and cut full length borders for the quilt?

I know with borders that go around an individual block you would cut to the size the block should be and this will keep the sizes consistent but does this also apply to long borders around the entire quilt.

Hope I'm explaining it OK?dont know

rosemary Rosenfeld27/05/2016 19:04:11
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

"They" say you should measure the quilt in the middle of side.... not at the edge and cut borders to the length..... I admit to layering the quilt at this point.....quilting it and then adding the borders! (ie stitch and flip!!) .That

way I get ready nice straight edges to the quilt and even borders!! Best Rosemary

Katy31/05/2016 12:02:40
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Rosemary is right, you should measure across the centre of the quilt in either direction. You will probably have to square the middle section off before you attach the borders. Generally if you square everything as you go, it's not too painful, but I still forget sometimes

Claire Bear01/06/2016 19:07:47
1846 forum posts
411 photos

Thanks ladies. Will give that a go.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues