By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The 'ultimate' quilt show...?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicola Moore20/05/2016 21:33:41
24 forum posts
2 photos

Hi all...I'm new to quilting/patchwork but have visited some of the shows local to me such as Harrogate and Edinburgh. However, I was wondering what the 'ultimate' quilt show is? Is it the Festival of Quilts? Or one of the American shows? Or European ones? What is the one show you would love to attend???

rosemary Rosenfeld21/05/2016 06:59:37
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I have only ever been to the Festival of Quilts, in Birmingham so I really can't comment on the others! I would really love to visit either of the American ones .............. at Houston or at Paducah(?)! Don't think it's very likely though! Still one can always dream! Best Rosemary.

Tessa21/05/2016 14:00:22
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Hi Nicola,

As Rosemary has mentioned the biggest here in England would probably be the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham each year. It's normally my sanity away weekend, although this year I won't be going.

I've also been to smaller quilt shows, Loch Lomond (which is no longer going now), as well as Harrogate. I also wish that I would someday be able to visit one of the larger quilt shows in the States or even if there is one in Canada at some point in the future.

My friend Sandi has been to the big quilt show in Alsace, France and she just loved it.

Tessa

pamela jeffrey21/05/2016 14:05:02
3192 forum posts
114 photos

I am going to Festival of quilts this year. From all I have heard it is very good, but can be very busy.

I like the one at Harrogate show ground later in the year.

Do not like flying so no chance of the big ones in America.

Bye Pam

Nicola Moore21/05/2016 14:55:16
24 forum posts
2 photos

I did look at going to The Festival of Quilts this year however, it was going to cost me £211 return on the train and that was the cheapest option! The French shows sound appealing though....more research needed...xxx

Katy23/05/2016 11:11:18
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I've not been to anything bigger than FOQ, but I do like some of the smaller ones very much. I would have loved to go to Loch Lomond when that was running, but never made it. Quiltfest in Wrexham in February is one of my favourite small shows, that's really nice,

Fiona24/05/2016 13:48:50
3107 forum posts
463 photos

FOQ is huge - love it but it takes at least 2 days. Friends rave about Houston. But I quite like Sandown, plenty of quilts and enough space to see them properly, just enough traders not to overwhelm me and I can find that perfect fabric again when I've thought about it, places to sit down and it can be done in one day! Duxford is a family favourite too as there is plenty for everyone else to do.

Living in Kent, I am lucky to have several little shows near enough to travel to as well. And of course, there is my own group show 'Quilts in the Garden' in August each year!

Sue 6224/05/2016 18:53:21
593 forum posts
29 photos

Just spent a lovely Sunday afternoon at the Malvern show.

Three or so hours of walking around is enough for me! Sue*

Jane 15205/06/2016 16:06:45
16 forum posts

I've been to F0Q 4 times and will be going again this year. It is huge, though and involves a lot of walking. I've also made the long drive down to Duxford a couple of times. I was already a fan of the airfield, so it's a bonus to go for quilting as well.

In September I'm lucky enough to be going to The European Patchwork Meeting in France - really looking forward to this.

Jane 15218/09/2016 17:51:01
16 forum posts

Carrefour Européen du Patchwork

Just a quick update - I got back from France last night, having visited the 22nd European Patchwork Meeting in Alsace.

It really was a lovely way to see a lot of quilts. The settings are just stunning. So much going on, but not in the least bit frantic like FOQ can be. The locals get behind it as well, with almost all businesses (from chemists to banks) displaying at least one quilt in their windows. It had quite a large commercial area as well - so, yes, obviously a bit of retail therapy went on! However, it was more about exhibiting the quilts than seeing how much money they could get you to park with. Even the parking was free and they put on shuttle buses to get to the other locations - it's in four different villages.

Can't praise it highly enough. I've already had a quick look for next year, only to see that the most local accommodation has already gone. I'll have to have a serious think about this and look at my depleted holiday fund!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues