By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Brenda's Top 10 Tips for Bag Making

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Charm Square Backpack

Charm Square Backpack

Brenda Dean shows you how to transform a pack pf charm squares into a useful roomy backpack

Katy16/05/2016 13:37:25
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Our brilliant forum member and bag designer Brenda Dean has an article in the new bag issue, outlining her top ten tips for bag making. Brenda is a great bag designer, so I totally trust her hints and tips. Have a look at page 48 and 49, read her top ten, and let us know what you'd add.

My top tip is to buy grotty bags with nice handles from charity shops, unpick the handles and reuse them on your own bags. I've done this lots of times, and bought bags much cheaper (and often nicer) than the handles would cost from a craft shop

Irene B16/05/2016 18:07:59
4433 forum posts
405 photos

I just heart Brenda's Backpack. I recognise some of the fabric as I have some strips in my stash. I can't commit to the bag swap, but I may have a go at this backpack for myself. Thank you Brenda for another lovely project rose

Super top tip Katy thumbs up​  Another idea is to buy a cotton dress/skirt from a charity shop and use to make a bag.

Edited By Irene B on 16/05/2016 18:09:52

Sylvia17/05/2016 19:29:53
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Thanks for that alert Katy. It made me go in and look at the bag special. I am terrible, I pay my sub. and often forget to look at the mag unless one of you UK guys mentions something!

Anyway, Brenda's tips are very practical and useful, particularly about putting wadding in before ironing. I had never thought of that.

Carol B18/05/2016 10:54:08
3000 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

I love that backpack too, just need the time .....

I once bought a bag of fancy belts from Abakhans, they made great handles for shoulder bags.

Katy19/05/2016 09:15:25
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Those are good ideas, thank you

I've never thought of padding out a bag with wadding to press it either.

Belts and skirts are great ideas for recycling too.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
Sarik
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues