By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cutting fabric.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sue 6215/05/2016 14:49:38
593 forum posts
29 photos

Hi everyone, I need some guidance.

I've had RA for many years and now it's steadily progressing into my fingers! Also I have elbow replacements which make me slightly cack-handed with lack of strength and I a fused left wrist which in the past year has made cutting with a rotary cutter difficult as I cannot hold ruler etc steady.

Would anyone like to recommend a cutting machine?

I am going to the Marlow show next weekend and thought I might be able to see something there but would prefer recommendations and would wait until Birmingham if necessary.

I don't want to spend a fortune but at this rate I'll only be buying pre-cuts and having a huge sale online of my material!!

I must add that friends have been very helpful but don't live with me and the time has come to sort out my quandry!!

Thanks, Sue*

Edited By Sue 62 on 15/05/2016 14:51:15

Fiona15/05/2016 16:55:13
3113 forum posts
463 photos

It must be terribly frustrating, Sue.

I have an accucut Go cutter, bought second hand as a bargain for me by DH and I do love it. I admit to mostly using the applique dies but I have begun using some of my other dies and it really cuts time. There is a little bit of wastage sometimes but it outweighs the convienance. Their website is helpful and the patterns are free, usually with cutting instructions too.

I also have a Cuttlebug for my Sizzix dies - more applique shapes but also my hexies and tumbler shape. It's been invaluable in time saving. it seems to be harder to track down the dies online at a reasonable price.

A friend bought a Fiskars cutter. It's sort of like a paper guilatine but with a rotary blade. She likes it. Someone else has a June Taylor cutting board. It has grooves to put a rotary cutter into to help stop it veering over the staright and narrow. I do know she sometimes uses a clamp to fix it onto the table over her cutting mat. The Trucut cutting system also works in a similar way but the cutter has an adjustable head to angle it so making it easier to adjust the pressure needed. Like any cutter, they will work best with sharp blades so it's worth stocking up on those to have at least one spare on hand. (Barnyarns do a generic blade for under £3 or you can buy multipacks online.)

Overall, I'd say suggest going for the Accucut - the Go would give you more scope. It is expensive but the dies are well made and versatile. There is a smaller Baby version but it won't cut the bigger dies. You also need to factor in the cost of replacement cutting mats, which help to press the fabric onto the hidden blades.Quilt Direct have a good range to look at online. It's a shame the various makes are not compatible. Perhaps you could club together with friends? When I bought my cutter, I arranged with one of mine that she could use it if she bought a cutting mat to use with a particular die that I didn't want and we went halves on another die.

pamela jeffrey15/05/2016 17:49:58
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Hello Sue

I love the Accuquilt machine for cutting. Did not use it for a while but now buying more dies.

Plus one of the groups I belong has the machine and bought different dies to me, so I can borrow there

Bye Pam

Margaret S15/05/2016 18:33:03
3905 forum posts
697 photos
I have arthritis in my hands and I swear by my Sizzix machines. I have the Big Shot and the wider Big Shot plus. Unlike the Accuquilt you can cut much more than just fabric. You can use all the Go Baby dies, but not the widest Accuquilt dies in the Sizzix if you add something like cardboard underneath to make them thicker, but I think that you can only use Accuquilt dies in an Accuquilt machine.

Really it comes down to personal choice. I was watching a friend cutting strips on her Accuquilt Go and I still prefer my Sizzix. I came home and ordered some Sizzix strip dies!

If weight is a factor, Sizzix machines are much heavier than Accuquilt machines.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 15/05/2016 18:34:30

Edited By Margaret S on 15/05/2016 18:36:22

Katy16/05/2016 10:12:44
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hope that helps Sue, I haven't got either, but I've had a go on a Sizzix and liked it. Maybe someone near or at the show you could let you try a few for yourself

Edited By Katy on 16/05/2016 10:12:58

Sue 6217/05/2016 18:40:46
593 forum posts
29 photos

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will be looking out for all at the two shows and certainly won't rush into buying without 'having a go'!

Weight and price are both factors but as I will not be buying any more fabric until this is sorted it may well be my present to myself in lieu! Thanks again, Sue* heart

Sue 6227/05/2016 00:45:25
593 forum posts
29 photos

I had a super time at the Malvern show on Sunday. I spent half an hour at the Sizzix stand chatting to the lady there who was very helpful and allowed me to try out the Big Shot.

I must say it was comparatively easy to work and that was with eight layers of fabric. So I think I'll be checking ebay etc for a bargain! Also I discovered that a friend has the machine and will lend me some dies.

I have also found that I'm still able to use my Taylor Shape Cut Plus so that is helpful-something to do with the warmer weather!!

Thanks again for your thoughts, Sue*

pamela jeffrey27/05/2016 08:43:32
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Sue

Pleased you like the machine, will make it easy for you.

there is always plenty on ebay.

I have used mine a lot this last week.

Bye Pam

Sue 6231/05/2016 18:47:08
593 forum posts
29 photos

NB Yesterday a quilting friend sent me details of a 'new' Sizzix machine where you just press a button-presumably electric!

So I'm buying the Big Shot this week but saving my ebay sales money for this machine. Excellent! Sue*

Sue 6231/05/2016 18:47:50
593 forum posts
29 photos

PS Which is the best place to buy the dies? Sue*

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues