By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Punched Leather Purse

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Punched Leather Purse

Punched Leather Purse

This purse is so easy to create you'll want to make one for all your friends too. An adapted extract from Leathercraft by GMC.

Katy09/05/2016 14:15:06
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

If anyone would like to make one of these, but needs some leather, give me a shout.

My brother-in-law (that seems odd, he has been my sisters boyfriend for 25 years, but they got married in April) skipped their sofas a few weeks ago, as no-one wanted them, even for nothing.

They were dark tan leather, and the leather was lovely, and Rob couldn't bear to throw it away, so he stripped both sofas, and saved all of the leatherin two bin bags for me to 'do something'. It is quite thick and heavy, but it is good quality, and some parts are worn and some are not at all.

So if anyone would like a F8/FQ sized piece, I'm very willing to share it, as I have an awful lot!

Katy09/05/2016 14:16:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Also, if you don't like brown (like me) you can paint it with chalk paint! It looks really good!

Fiona10/05/2016 17:28:52
3107 forum posts
463 photos

Yes please, Katy! Two pieces (if that's not being greedy) would be wonderful. x

Katy11/05/2016 07:51:14
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'll cut some tonight and post it tomorrow Fiona, thanks for helping me reduce the leather mountain!

mandy11/05/2016 17:50:52
1063 forum posts
152 photos

Katy, I'd be like some please.xxx

Never thought about doing that when we skipped our sofas.

Mandy

Sue 6213/05/2016 00:22:52
593 forum posts
29 photos

I'd love a piece Katy. Thank you. Sue*

Katy16/05/2016 09:40:39
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Thanks everyone, I'm sorry I didn't manage to get to the post office at the end of last week, but I will go today

Katy06/06/2016 16:49:01
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

punched leather purse

I made one of these last week, and learnt a few dos and don'ts!

1. Painting leather is very satisfying and works really well.
  2. Your lino cutter and hole punch need to be very very sharp. Mine weren't. I gave up on the lino cutter and just punched holes where the leaf shape should be. My leather is very thick, and it was impossible to punch clean holes, so there are nasty fibrous tufts everywhere, which I can't fix.
  3. It's hard to punch through the paper template as it shifts if you have an ordinary short arm hole punch, because you need to roll up the edges to reach the middle. So I pricked the pattern through the paper with a needle, which reminded me of making lace when I was a teenager. I then removed the template and marked each pinhole with marker pen on the leather and punched those marks.
  4. I missed the step where you sew the top edge of the leather to the felt, whoops

Apart from the annoying tufts it was fun to make

Edited By Katy on 06/06/2016 16:49:17

Edited By Katy on 06/06/2016 16:50:53

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues