By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Professional long arm quilting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Laurel Byrne08/05/2016 19:19:36
13 forum posts
22 photos

I am interested to hear opinions or experiences on sending a piece of work to be long arm quilted. I am working on my most complicated quilt so far an enormous Bargello and think I might need to send it away to be quilted. I'm worried it won't feel mine anymore. Comments please

Stereochild08/05/2016 20:36:47
171 forum posts
89 photos

Hi Laurel - I have sent my quilt away to be quilted by a shop with a long arm quilter and don't feel that it will then not be my work. I have chosen the pattern and the rest of the quilt I made on a sewing machine. I think if I had made the quilt top by hand and then sent if off to be machine sewn on a long arm quilter - that would feel like it wasn't totally my quilt and that I had lost something of the quilt. thinking dont knowcheeky

Just me I guess

Letia smiley

Laurel Byrne08/05/2016 20:42:43
13 forum posts
22 photos

Thank you Letia, I feel quite emotional about this as I have put so much into this piece of work. It's not ready yet and there's no rush as its not being made for anyone so I can wait and get more information.

pamela jeffrey08/05/2016 22:45:56
3192 forum posts
114 photos

loved my been quilted,save all the hard work

Bye Pam

Marian T09/05/2016 09:24:26
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

Hi Laurel

Due to health problems I've had many of my quilts quilted for me and love it when I get them back to finish them. The lady who does mine uses a short-arm machine and completely listens to, and produces what you choose for the quilting. She quilted an extra-large quilt-as-you-go quilt for me and I joined the pieces together and finished it. I love that quilt and although she quilted it, the quilt was made by me.

She only does up to single-size quilts now but takes time to discuss patterns etc. I call her the Quilt Whisperer as she's never produced anything that I don't love.

Ultimately, the quilt you make is your creation and only yours.

Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Marian face 23

Katy09/05/2016 10:20:23
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Marlene does lovely long arm quilting here, I'm not sure if she only does it locally or not, or if she still has her long arm, but I'm sure she could set your mind at ease about it still being your quilt. Marlene would be a very good person to talk to about it though.

I have a friend who does beautiful long arm quilting, and I'd let her quilt everything if I could afford to. She is brilliant, and I've never regretted having her long arm big things for me. Jan, who quilts for Marian is very good too, she does a lot of very small detailed short arm quilting. Jan and Joanne both do complex custom quilting, but neither are computerised.

Nicola Moore02/06/2016 23:54:24
24 forum posts
2 photos

Laurel...I have the same questions and fears. I don't have space to even lay a single quilt out let alone quilt it. I hadn't thought about short arm v long arm quilting nor the expense. Is long arm quilting costly? Will I have full control over the thread used? Backing? Wading? And what about patterns? Does the quilter decider?

June03/06/2016 07:44:04
335 forum posts
55 photos

Hi Nicola,

I do all my own quilting - it's not perfect; it wouldn't win any prizes but, to me, it is the most important part. It's what sets off all the hard work with the piecing. It's the bit that takes your pieced top and makes it into a quilt.

I don't have a long arm machine, only a Pfaff 4 and have quilted large double quilts on it. It can be tough going as you have to do a bit at a time and try to ensure the part of the quilt you are not working on is fully supported (if not the weight affects the stitching your doing). There are pics of what I've done in my albums here so you can get an idea of size.

Another thought - do you have a friendly quilty shop nearby? If so, pop in and speak to them; they'll help you choose wadding; may even be able to help you layer it and I'm certain would help you look at quilting patterns.

You could always put a pic of your top here if you wanted help with quilting patterns.wink

My advice would be for you to have a go at it yourself; but in the end you should do what you're happy with.

I look forward to seeing the finished quilt laugh

June

Edited By June on 03/06/2016 07:46:12

rosemary Rosenfeld03/06/2016 07:44:18
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

I belong to another online group and a while ago somebody was talking about how disappointed they were with a recent project! !! There were replies from lots of people who either were long arm quilters or had used them who said how happy they were! They all said that they talked about what was wanted ...... design... wadding....thread....backing..... beforehand and the result was exactly what was wanted! This was the original problem...it was NOT what she wanted...wrong design and wrong thread! I can't help you with costs but a quick internet search should answer that!! I'm sure you could find an advert somewhere here on the forum. Best Rosemary

rosemary Rosenfeld03/06/2016 12:28:28
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

I've had a quick look and prices do vary a great deal!! One was priced at £2.30 per square foot so a single bed quilt approx 70 by 90 would cost £116 ......another quoted £175 for a single bed quilt and both of those were for an all over design and I don't know about vat and postage etc. I would look online and try to find somebody as near to you as possible..... that way you can actually meet them and hopefully see some of their work as well!

June's suggestion of visiting your local shop is a good one... they should be able to give you advice and may know of a local longarm quilter.

I'm with June though..... I like doing my own quilting! I have had one quilted by Jan (see above) but that was because I wanted to own some of her work!!! I use an ordinary domestic machine and as June says..... you need to make sure as much of the quilt as possible is supported.... that makes life so much easier.

There are a couple of other options........ some longarmers(?) offer a basting service...... if that is the really tricky part as far as you are concerned. The first big quilt I did I layered and basted it at a group meeting..... several big tables were put together (much easier than crawling about on the floor) and we helped each other!

The final option is QAYG( quilt as you go) Instead of joining all the blocks and then layering it and quilting the whole thing...... you layer each block (or row or group of blocks) and quilt them individually and then join them together.

In the end though it's entirely up to you. As June siad... we look forward to seeing the completed quilt!

Best Rosemary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
Janome
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues