Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Doodle Printing

Doodle Printing

Learn how to take the colouring in craze onto fabric

Marian C07/04/2016 14:49:43
59 forum posts
24 photos

The doodle printing article in the latest magazine really interested me. When I googled the bubble jet set 2000 liquid, I found a recipe to make it yourself using 3 ingredients, as follows : By weight you need 255g hot water, 30g alum powder (also called Fatakdi powder, and available in Indian supermarkets), 12g washing soda, 3g fabric softener. Mix all the ingredients together (they may foam up a little), and then soak your fabric. Then follow the rest of the instructions in the article. You can store excess liquid for future use, but it is best to only soak the amount of fabric you are going to need for your project.

rosemary Rosenfeld07/04/2016 15:19:20
5924 forum posts
1740 photos
13 articles

I have a bottle of bubble jet and use it quite a lot when I print out labels. Best Rosemary

Katy08/04/2016 20:03:26
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

That's interesting Marian, thank you, I'd like to try that. It's worth remembering that you need Freezer paper to back the fabric with too.

I normally go for the more expensive but convenient ready to print sheets instead, but I struggled this week as I had an old rogue batch where the backing paper couldn't be removed, so I'd appreciate a cheaper option

Katy12/04/2016 13:18:46
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Would anyone like to have a go at this?

I would quite like to try it.

I've found some doodle images on google, you do need to be quite careful where you download any colouring pages from, as some of the sites are a bit dodgy, but there are lots online, or you could draw your own.

I thought an A4 sheet might make a nice notebook cover, but you could make anything really.

I found alum powder for less than £3 on Amazon, if anyone wants to make their own Bubblejet set, but I expect it is cheaper to buy it from an asian grocers

Marian C12/04/2016 14:57:43
59 forum posts
24 photos

What a great idea -I'm in. I have already bought the alum powder, so just need to get the washing soda from the supermarket.

Katy29/04/2016 10:07:13
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

img_0110.jpg

img_0108.jpg

img_0107.jpg

Here's my credit card holder. It's a bit of a prototype, I should have made the outside a bit bigger to allow for the bulk, but I invented it and made it in less than an hour, so I'm quite pleased with it really

Fiona29/04/2016 20:19:31
3137 forum posts
486 photos

I love it, Katy!

I really should make one for myself - miss bought me a new purse for Christmas and it's too slim to hold all those loyalty cards we seem to collect. ATM, I have a pile floating in my bag pocket so of course I can never find the one I want - but the quilt shop ones are in the purse!

Marian C01/05/2016 14:48:22
59 forum posts
24 photos

I have finished my doodle printing notebook cover. I decided to do some free motion quilting as well, and finished off with a few French knots. I used the recipe I posted to make my own fixing solution. I would like to do more doodle printing, perhaps using my Derwent inktense pencils instead of felt tip pens.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Beryl Hedley01/05/2016 15:14:21
821 forum posts
145 photos

Marian I love your doodle purse. Your colours and patterns are beautiful.

Beryl

Katy03/05/2016 10:13:51
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Oh Marian, that's beautiful, well done!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues