Scrap Management

What do you do with your scraps? - storage and useful projects

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lexy30/03/2016 10:40:04
297 forum posts
81 photos

Hi All

I haven't been as active on the forum recently as I would like but I have been busy in the sewing room. So much so that I began to see a rapid increase in the amount of scrap fabric I had, when it could no longer be contained in one tub I decided to make a feature of it.

Here are my scrap management storage pods, as well as coloured ones there are also pods for low volume, Christmas, novelty/multi-colored, solids and selvedges. For most of them I sewed scraps together till I had a large enough piece to cut the pattern out - that got rid of a few bits and pieces!

So far I've decided that anything smaller than an eighth of a yard is a 'scrap'; eighth or bigger stays in with my normal stash. I'm not sure what to do with the thinner strips I have, which are between 1-3", they would be handy for log cabins or other foundation piecing so I might keep them separate from the larger scraps.

How do you sort your scraps out and what sort of projects do you use them for? Please share you hints and tips and pictures of your storage solutions or scrap project ideas.

The pattern for the storage pods is by Beth Studley, here's a link if anyone would like it, although its not a free pattern I'm afraid.

~Lexy

Scrap Storage Wall

Scrap Storage Pods

Irene B30/03/2016 11:08:34
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Lexy, I just love those pods! In fact I like a lot of Beth's stuff. I'm not as organised as you with my scraps. I just have two shallow baskets where every small bit gets put in to! I have used the scraps to make wonky log cabin blocks and they do look nice. rose

Katy30/03/2016 11:46:07
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Those are lovely Lexy, much prettier than my sandwich bags stuffed with each colour. I have a big square box with about twenty exploding sandwich bags in it!

Beryl Hedley30/03/2016 11:58:07
821 forum posts
145 photos

Lexy you have been busy. The pods are lovely.

I wish I could be as tidy as you are. I do try but there is still room for improvement.

Beryl

Margaret S30/03/2016 16:14:14
3911 forum posts
703 photos

Lexy, you are so neat and organised. Love those pods.

My quantity of scraps is like my stash - huge! I can't throw anything away!

I first started using these storage boxes and I still use them today.

Boxes in small bedroom

I now also have these scrap storage bags which hold one colour each. They sit on top of my Sizzix die storage boxes and I need to make some more.

Scrap Storage Baskets

I have a shoe box for the orange/yellow scraps and two very big plastic storage boxes of scraps that need colour sorting when the other bags above are getting empty.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 30/03/2016 16:14:59

Lexy31/03/2016 10:13:49
297 forum posts
81 photos

Katy, that's exactly what I had - a box of exploding plastic scrap bags! Every time I tried to look through it for something I could use I ended up with everything tipped out and muddle together!

Margaret, I hadn't thought of storing by width of strip or by separating into dark/med/light as opposed to colour. I think that's a great way to deal with the strips I have, although I was trying to get away from having stacks of storage boxes as I don't really have the room. Will have to give it some thought. Those fabric baskets are great, I love blue one with the decorative tassel.

I think I will follow Irene's idea and focus on using up some of the scraps in a log cabin quilt, time to go and get some inspiration from the internet!

~Lexy

Jayne31/03/2016 10:42:26
675 forum posts
118 photos

There is something very similar in Debbie Shore's "Sew Useful" book, she uses embroidery hoops to keep the mouth open, just a tube of fabric to fit the hoop and sugar bagged at the bottom, I was wondering about it and never got round to it, you may just have rekindled my mojo Lexy.

Andie Blye23/03/2017 15:36:12
1 forum posts

Jayne, I like that idea! I need to save my pennies and be a little more creative!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues