By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Coverlets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clare B07/03/2016 17:54:34
2 forum posts

Interesting to read Anne Williams' article about coverlets, saying they've virtually disappeared. I have given up on making bed-size quilts (no room; no good at quilting; don't need the warmth) and only make coverlets. I've been calling them bedspreads, but 'coverlet' sounds posher!

Katy07/03/2016 19:52:04
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I might have to take up that idea Clare, I like the warmth but I don't enjoy the quilting part much!

Margaret S08/03/2016 08:35:39
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Went and read this article. Having read Anne's bio at the front of the magazine, I am very surprised at her comments on the demise of coverlets. I would have thought that modern quilters are making them a lot as today's mothers do not like baby quilts with wadding and we are using fleece more and more as a backing for quilt tops.

Margaret

Katy08/03/2016 08:59:53
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I think what Anne says about the guild collection is important though, they collect what others have kept, and maybe the collection is not as representative of what people make in normal circumstances, rather than heirloom pieces.

I think she is saying that the collection doesn't include any modern coverlets, and the guild collection infers that the general public don''t make them as much, which is probably not right, but I see where the idea has come from.

I suppose I make quite a lot of coverlets after all, but when I use a fleece backing, I still quilt it a lot, and I would still thnk of it as a quilt.

I thought I owned one 'proper' coverlet though, Daisy has my hexagon coverlet on her bed. My gran made it for me when I was a baby. But actually, I've just had a proper look at it, and it is a quilt. It only has one line of quilting around an inner rectangle of hexagons, and is tied in four corners. I think it has a very old blanket inside which was either cut smaller than the top and back or has shrunk a lot. It is very very flat and made of very heavy cotton, so I'd always assumed it was two layers.

Fiona09/03/2016 16:09:58
3107 forum posts
463 photos

I wish I still had the cot quilt my gran made, Katy. She made it from an old blanket covered with a heavy cotton printed with tiny flowers and bunnies. It just had a few vertical lines of straight machine stitches and a ruffle. She made it for her first grandchild, who was born in 1959 and was heavily used by 7 children in total. I ended up with it in 1990 when I was expecting my first child but by then it was really only fit to use as an underblanket, although I did patch up some of the worn places. Unfortunately, this was long before I was interested in quilting and I think DH used it as a drop cloth at one point!

I too make baby quilts with fleece and no wadding. I think I saw a 'proper' coverlet at Duxford on a stall but can't remember which one! I do remember thinking at the time that perhaps one of my hexie projects should be one.

stephs stitches.10/03/2016 08:50:22
151 forum posts
94 photos

I'm afraid I don't have an interesting comment to make on this topic, except to say that if we were all sat around with a cuppa chatting about this I would be nodding in agreement with you all and finding it all fascinating 🤔.

Emily Diana11/04/2017 11:40:35
1 forum posts

Silk Patchwork Coverlet is the most established known dated interwoven blanket in the UK. Because of its delicate condition it's typically shrouded away in earth controlled conditions however until 13 December 2014 it's on show at the Quilt Museum and Gallery in York. More than 120 textures, the most established from the 1640s, have been recognized in the intricate example which includes 69 pieces, highlighting geometric and non-literal units. So you can make your own rendition of, or most loved squares from, this famous material,

I founded like these in https://www.elanlinen.com.au/coverlets I even shard it with Anne Williams blogs.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues