By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

fabrics for dresden plate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Patricia Fox 114/02/2016 10:45:53
14 forum posts

I may have asked this already but now I am ready to start my quilt today.

At a class I joined only last week I was told NOT to use a plain fabric in a dresden plate. I have some really nice \kaffe fabrics to use but I would like to put in the odd plain fabric.

Am I doing something very wrong. Does it go against all the quilting teaching.

Margaret S14/02/2016 11:00:09
4022 forum posts
756 photos
Patricia, No quilt police here! If you want plains then lay it out and see what it looks like. Depends how many blades you are using but best to set the same colours opposite each other as in Katy's block. Go with what you feel is right for you and what looks balanced. If in doubt, lay the block out before stitching and take a photo. It's amazing what you see then.

Margaret
Irene B14/02/2016 11:11:27
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Patricia, very good advice from Margaret. I would have said the same. I quite often take a photo of things I'm making to see how it looks. Enjoy making your Dresden Plate.

Irene rose

Tessa14/02/2016 13:31:25
5766 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Patricia, I agree with Margaret and Irene...your Dresden plate is your design...your colours and patterns...we have no time for Quilt Police on this website....you go with what you feel you want and not someone elses ideas. I've just made a shoulder bag with a Dresden plate on one side....see the plain fabrics bring out the colours of the patterned blades.

Dresden Plate Bag

Dresden Bag

stephs stitches.14/02/2016 13:51:28
177 forum posts
111 photos

That's a very good idea to take a picture of your work or fabric selection, they look quite different on a screen and it's a good way to help you make your mind up with layouts etc A camera is almost a must have in the list of tools needed in the sewing room 📱🖥📸 nowadays

rosemary Rosenfeld14/02/2016 13:53:43
5883 forum posts
1720 photos
13 articles

Quite right one and all! The "quilt police" have been banned from this site! When it comes down to it ..... go with what looks good/right for you......your project.......your fabric......... your choices!! Enough said!!! I'm afraid I'm the sort of person that ignores "you should......" or "if I were you........"......... ask my family!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you produce in the end!

Best Rosemary

Patricia Fox 114/02/2016 14:32:19
14 forum posts

Thank you ladies. Definately made up my mind to listen to advice at my class, but do my own thing too. Your posts are so helpful.

Katy15/02/2016 14:30:58
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hope you had fun auditioning fabric Patricia, it's up to you what you do, don't worry about what you think you ought to do...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues