By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Rotary blades

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Patricia Fox 113/02/2016 10:42:09
14 forum posts

I have often wondered how often you change your blades in your rotary cutter. I have an Olfa.

Someone once told me you should change the blade with every project. But is that a bit extreme

rosemary Rosenfeld13/02/2016 12:27:06
5636 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I think so! It obviously depends how much you use it but as long as it is cutting well I can't see the point of changing it! Winnie passed on a tip about using aluminium foil to sharpen scissors...would that help?

I think I need to change my needle more often than I do ....... maybe every time I start a new big project!

Best Rosemary

Edited By rosemary Rosenfeld on 13/02/2016 12:30:38

Irene B13/02/2016 13:30:36
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Patricia, I use my Olfa rotary cutter a lot and maybe change the blade once or twice a year. You can tell when you need a new blade when the fabric does not cut so well and you need to cut the strip again. Like Rosemary, I change my needle more regularly.

Irene rose

Margaret S13/02/2016 13:58:15
3897 forum posts
693 photos
Must admit that I don't change my blade often enough. When I do decide it is too blunt it is relegated to cutting paper - I have two handles. I believe that blades are cheaper in some countries and that they can afford a new blade for each project.

I am very good at replacing my machine needles after about 8 hours use, but I did buy a 100 pack of Schmetz needles so it works out very cheap.

Margaret

Tessa13/02/2016 20:34:03
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Hi Patricia, I change my rotary cutting blade when it no longer glides through the fabric easily...and I change my sewing machine needle when it breaks ... unless of course I need a different needle for different fabrics.

Tessa x

Katy15/02/2016 14:22:55
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'd like to change mine a lot more often than I do, but they are so expensive, I don't buy them often enough. My Mum's boyfriend sharpens blunt ones for me about once a year, so I use those, but they do blunt quicker than a new one. I do love using a really new one.

Fiona19/02/2016 12:04:58
3107 forum posts
463 photos

Just wanted to say that I have been buying my blades from Barnyarn's amazon shop. Around the £3 mark for 2 with free postage for my 45mm cutter means I can afford to keep a spare blade handy. I change whenever it starts to get harder to make a clean cut. I do have a sharpener for tiny nicks but always feel nervous about cutting myself handling the blade.

Incidentally, I buy a box of Organ machine needles so that I do change frequently. I think my last box cost around £12 for 100 needles which is far cheaper than buying a card of 5 twenty times. I put the used needles in an old vitamin bottle to keep them safely then they go to a local chemist for disposal.

rosemary Rosenfeld19/02/2016 13:06:55
5636 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I have those needles as well Fiona.... I bought them on a well-known internet auction site the last time you mentioned them!! I've been really pleased! best Rosemary

Marian C19/02/2016 14:35:17
58 forum posts
24 photos

I have used Barnyarns as well. They have their own website - www.barnyarns.co.uk, and have 10% off until the end of February using the code NEWSFEB2 at checkout, with free delivery I think.

I recently bought a pack of Hobbs Heirloom Premium wadding, size 81x 96 inches at £16.94, so with 10 %'off, it comes to £15.25.

Diane Ford19/02/2016 16:31:23
469 forum posts
60 photos

I buy a lot of things from Barnyarns, but I always check their prices in their Amazon and eBay shops too, because they often have better prices on there for some reason.

Diane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues