By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stuart's Surgery

What advice does Stuart have for us this month?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Contributing to Popular Patchwork Magazine

Contributing to Popular Patchwork Magazine

Would you like to submit a project or feature for publication? Find out how to do that here...

Katy09/02/2016 12:24:51
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

In our March issue, Stuart is giving advice about Machine Quilting. For the full article, please see page 54 of the March 2016 issue of Popular Patchwork, but here's a quick summary of his top 10 things to remember

1. Preparation!
  2. Baste well
  3. Check your sewing machine
  4. Clear space
  5. Practise
  6. Audition designs
  7. Check your grip
  8. Quilt evenly
  9. Check your mood!
  10. Take a class

Which do you think are the best tips?

Marian C09/02/2016 13:23:54
58 forum posts
24 photos

Instead of buying expensive quilting gloves, I use a pair of gardening gloves bought from one of the many pound shops -they have knitted cuffs and an uneven rubberised finish, which gives them a good grip on the fabric.

Tessa10/02/2016 18:23:58
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

I think Stuart's number 9 tip.... 'Check your mood.' If you're not in the right mood...just put the sewing machine away...as nothing will turn out right.... frown

Tessa

rosemary Rosenfeld10/02/2016 22:40:46
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I use those gloves as well Marian....it certainly eases any strain on the shoulders! I think practising on small items or in QAYG is a good start! But in the end you just have to go for it....as long as it looks OK....once the markings has gone ...who knows!! Best Rosemary

Katy11/02/2016 09:26:20
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I think starting small scale is important too. I've never tried gloves, and definitely agree about practise and being in the mood.

Winnie the B.O.L.B11/02/2016 12:39:34
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Starting small is quite definitely essential - otherwise you can get dispirited by "poor" results which are quite likely on larger items.

Also a clear space is essential for accuracy.

I think gloves are almost a "must" gloves - but I find that I need the "finer" ones that are specifically "quilting ones - I seem to get on better with the "neater" fit.. Another two members of my group use the gardening type ones quite happily - it was actually Rosemary who gave us a lovely gift of them when she came to visit us down here - we would never have thought of it ourselves

Winnie x

Katy07/03/2016 20:34:46
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

This month, Stuart's Surgery is all about organising a quilting retreat. I've never organised one or been on one, so what are your tips for either?

I think Tessa may have organised one at her cousins B&B, but I might be wrong..

Tessa07/03/2016 21:14:02
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

I tried to organize one at my b & b Katy, but it never happened. It would be nice if we has someone like Karin Hellaby to organize one for us. She's an expert in that field. face 23

Tessa. X

Margaret S08/03/2016 08:45:17
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Roundabout Quilters held a 21st Anniversary retreat on 6-8 July 2007. It was held at Lady Margaret Hall, part of Oxford University. The husband of the member who organised it is a professor and a Lecturer and Fellow of LMH so we got special rates. We had two workshops with Janet Cook and had a great time. However, the organiser nearly had a nervous breakdown and has vowed never to do so again and the latest anniversary has been quietly forgotten. It was great fun for the rest of us though!

Margaret

Katy08/03/2016 09:02:14
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

It sounds lovely, what a shame you didn't get to go again. I think would have had a nervous breakdown though, it doesn't take much for me, I can understand her not wanting to do it again. Maybe someone else should offer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
C&T publishing
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues