By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

free motion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cat Dalton12/02/2016 13:26:50
6 forum posts
4 photos

I too am practising with FMQ.

I had a cheap Singer machine which I used to make quilts and the walking foot was very good. My partner bought me a Husqvarna 100Q machine last year and the walking foot is a compatible one, it will not work whatever I do with it and seems to jam up. I gave up and used a patchwork foot to stitch in the ditch my last quilt.

I have a darning foot for this machine and have been practising FMQ but getting a comfortable speed has been tricky. I lowered the feed dogs, however have read the previous post's which suggest trying with them raised. Very good tips I will keep practising

Cat

Winnie the B.O.L.B12/02/2016 20:04:48
3354 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Cat - I suppose you have tried altering your top thread tension a wee bit - just a small amount of wrong tension can make a big difference with both walking feet and FMQ. If not, definitely ask as your dealer what's wrong - walking feet are too expensive just to abandon them.

I definitely agree with this motto of "practise, practise, practise" I'm going to try not lowering my feed dogs too and see what happens.

Winnie xx

Irene B13/02/2016 13:55:12
4433 forum posts
405 photos

I use a darning foot for FMQ on my Bernina. I lower the feed dogs and set the stitch length to zero. Practice is the thing to do. The more you practice the better it becomes,....and I would also add, go at a steady pace, not fast. I'm lucky that I also have a stitch regulator with my machine that I use for bigger projects. Have you looked at Leah Day she has tutorials that you can practice with?

Irene rose

Winnie the B.O.L.B13/02/2016 14:13:14
3354 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Irene - thanks for the advice on FMQ. My Bernina doesn't have a stitch regulator - it's an Activia 160 (?165)- lots of features but bought before the stitch regulator was available. I was practising on my Janome machine - the one I take to group meetings - my Bernina weighs a ton! I was managing the steady motor /foot control speed just not the stitch length control with my hands but didn't know about setting the stitch length to zero - will try that on my Bernina as well as the Janome.

I'll also have a look at the Leah Day tutorials - was following a couple of other recommended ones last night but could definitely do with more help.

Brenda - thanks for the suggestion of the Slider. It does seem like a great idea and reviews are good. I have a large perspex extension table so, unfortunately, I would need to buy the "Super" size - and I can't find that for less than about £68! I'd be willing to save up for it if there are maybe some recommendations for that large size used with a large extension table!. Anyone know anything about it? Advice very welcome.

Winnie xx

Marian C13/02/2016 14:28:29
59 forum posts
24 photos

Creative Grids do a "Sew Slip II" which sounds similar to the slider - it's £25.94, and is a touch larger than the biggest Slider at 12x18 inches. They also sell two items called " The Fabulous Fabric Glide" at £21.85 and a "Quilt Halo" at £23.95 which help you grip and move the fabric easily.

rosemary Rosenfeld13/02/2016 16:27:40
5930 forum posts
1741 photos
13 articles

Hi All......... you must also be able to accept that it won't be perfect to begin with! If you are perfectionist and fret about corners that are a fraction off .........then FMQ is most definitely not for you!! To begin with aim for smooth lines, without little kinks and use a thread that will disappear as much as possible.... that all helps! But above all try to relax as much as possible and not to stop toooooo often while you're sewing!

Best Rosemary

Edited By rosemary Rosenfeld on 13/02/2016 16:33:56

Winnie the B.O.L.B13/02/2016 16:58:26
3354 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

First of all - thank you very much Marian G - I'll have look tonight - they all sound really interesting. I'll let you know how I get on.

Rosemary - thank you too - yes, I take on board what you are saying - don't worry - I haven't got anywhere NEAR the trying to be a perfectionist stage!!! The smooth lines sounds like a good idea. I've been using a very visible thread for practising but really just so that i can see where and what I've done. For the "real thing" a very matching thread sounds like a great idea.

Winnie the B.O.L.B15/02/2016 12:40:45
3354 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Marian C - thought you might like to know that I had a chat with a lovely lady at Creative Grids about the Sew Slip 11 and the result is that I have ordered one. I also spoke to her about the difference between the Quilt Halo (round) and the square one (the Glide) and she recommended the square one as being easier to use. I ordered quite a few other bits and bobs that I needed and, as I also have a 10% discount card, the whole bill ended costing me less than the cheapest price I had seen for the large size Slider alone would have cost me - and that includes my postage costs to France. I'll update you on the results as soon as they have arrived and I've had a try.

Also, when I was quilting yesterday - not FMQ but it would work for that too - I was getting frustrated with the dreaded "drag" from the weight of my quilt to my left and suddenly remembered a tip I saw somewhere -maybe on here or in a book? Anyhow, it was to use an ironing board - a cheap one is all that is needed - and place it to the left hand side of your working area, close to you and as near as possible to the same level as your machine bed and then use it to support the bulk of your quilt, particularly when lots of it is to the left. I took my own board to try it and what a difference it made. If I've explained it properly, give it a try.

Winnie xx

Katy15/02/2016 14:34:14
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Our ironing board is right next to my sewing machine, albeit a bit squashed in, and it does work.

Good luck with Glide Winnie, let us know how you get on with it when it arrives

Winnie the B.O.L.B15/02/2016 19:08:59
3354 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Katy - it really was incredible the difference it made to the "fight" I normally have with my quilts - and a lot less of a strain on the shoulders and back. Wish I had remembered and tried it sooner. Glad you find it helpful too.

I'll definitely post my thoughts/findings on the Glide - can't wait for it to arrive.

I would like to stress what friendly and helpful service I had from the Creative Grids lady when I called them - she was absolutely lovely - sorry, I didn't get her name.

Winnie xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners