PP Slimming Group 2016

Losing weight together

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Winnie the B.O.L.B05/02/2016 13:41:11
3343 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Stay positive Diane - it will be down next week.

My week is on the up - that is psychologically - NOT weight wise! The company who supplied my scales are replacing them free of charge - and don't even need me to post the faulty ones back to them - their friendly service was fantastic - they are already in the post to me!!

Also got a call to say the store had located the model of exercise bike we wanted - see above post - and we collected it this morning!!! Just need help to get one VERY heavy box out of the car - friend coming round this evening and we shall be all singing and dancing - or cycling at least!!

Winnie

Valerie Whydall05/02/2016 14:58:18
118 forum posts

Poor week. Got weighed today put on 2lb. crying Changing slimming club, feel getting no support from club where I am a member. Hopefully new class, new leader I will loose the weight.

angel

Val.

Diane Ford05/02/2016 15:36:59
469 forum posts
60 photos

Winnie

I'm quite content to have stayed the same this week. I've spent most of the week in bed, and much of that time I was asleep, so I can't see how I've managed to burn off the calories I've consumed this week.

Which exercise bike have you got? I bought an air walker in September, which is why I finally managed to lose 21 pounds towards the end of last year. It was similar to the Tony Little Gazelle Glider that I used to have a few years ago, but it was obviously a very poor copy, because I broke it after a few weeks. I got a full refund from the supplier, so I put that towards a Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer that was on offer at Argos. I find the cross trainer is harder work than the air walker, but I keep telling myself that has to be good, doesn't it? I haven't been able to do much exercise since I've had it, because I've been unwell again for most of that time, but because it's in my bedroom, I can use it for a few minutes whenever I feel up to it. Every little bit of exercise I can manage has to be good, yes? At the moment I'm "huffing and puffing" a lot more than when I used the air walker, but it's not hurting my back or knees at all, and as I get "fitter" again, that should get better.

Diane

Edited By Diane Ford on 05/02/2016 15:39:16

Winnie the B.O.L.B05/02/2016 16:01:21
3343 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Hi Diane,

It is actually an exercise bike - as opposed to what I think you are describing - is yours a kind of "running machine??. Several reasons for choosing a bike - we haven't got a lot of room to keep it - in fact it has to be out in our wee guest cottage. Also, I have lots of back trouble and I find that the right bike keeps my back straight and it doesn't hurt at all when I am on a bike - even my borrowed one. With my epilepsy, I am a bit "unstable - in more ways than one my DH would tell you!! - and wobbly on my feet. I feel safe on the bike we have chosen - it is very stable indeed. We have bought a model that is from Decathlon - it's in the UK now, I think - and it is called their "comfort" model. With padded gel shorts, I am getting on well with my borrowed one -it was a nightmare without them - my bum was in agony after about 10 minutes.

You are right about any exercise being good - especially when it is difficult for you to be up and about "normally" - you know what I mean - so you aren't even getting the ordinary number of steps that you would get even if you were just pottering around all day.

Good luck with everything - hope you are feeling a bit better soon it must be very frustrating as well as rotten to be ill so much. Keep going though - you'll carry on losing even if it comes off more slowly than you might like.

Winnie xx

Winnie the B.O.L.B05/02/2016 16:10:35
3343 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Val - that's such a shame. I know from past experience that you need to feel at ease with you class/group leader or it doesn't work. You need to know you'll get support and encouragement - and friendship too both from the leader and the rest of the members. Remember as well that you have to feel positive about yourself - try not to let the fact that you are overweight "get to you" too much - never forget that, no matter what shape or size someone is, he/she is a worthwhile person - or a version of that at least - because that is something that any of us who are over weight tend to forget - and that is a vicious circle. Think of all the positive things and tell yourself you can do it.

Good luck with your new group - I'm sure you'll find some nice friends there.

Winnie

Diane Ford05/02/2016 18:03:35
469 forum posts
60 photos

Winnie

I was asking because I have a friend who is looking for a new exercise bike. Does yours have electronic resistance?  My friend bought a non electric exercise bike around the time I bought my air walker, but he's not happy with it. He's finding that using it is not quite what he was hoping for, and he thinks the resistance provided by an electrionic exercise bike might be better. He's been looking at the bike in the Reebok ZR8 range, which we assume should have a similar resistance setup to my cross trainer, but any other recommendations would be welcome.

Diane

Edited By Diane Ford on 05/02/2016 18:04:25

Winnie the B.O.L.B05/02/2016 22:48:21
3343 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Diane - I honestly don't know about "different" models. We chose ours in several ways but the main ones were the functions our son - who is fairly clued up on this kind of thing - told us we needed to have. it was also a question of buying a model that did as much as we needed it to do and not to pay for a model that would allow us to train for either the Olympics or the Tour de France!! Our son said that the ability to alter/programmer resistance was essential - eg, to vary it as if you were going up and own hills, on the flat etc or just stronger - as your body gets used to doing exactly the same thing all the time. Also important is to have the standard speed, time, distance but also - with a cardio belt, your heart beat etc. Our model is electrically powered - that is, it has to be plugged into the mains rather than a battery. We sent the web link for this model to our son and he told us that he believed we were making a good choice. Over here, without the extra cardio belt, it cost €299 plus the belt and an extra padded cover for the seat (!!) we spent a total of €347 - sorry not done the £ conversion (€1.3 to the pound). It seems that it is also important to decide how often you will be using it because the weight of the "inertia(??) wheel is important. Ours is 6 kilos which we understand is right for our using it 3/4 times a week for 45/50 mins each. The lighter (4 kilos0 wheels are for occasional use and heavier than that is for very, very serious stuff! Don't know what else to say - it seems price wise that buying a Decathlon "own brand" is better value for money and we have a 2 year guarantee Have a look on the Decathlon UK web site and look for "Comfort Model". Let me know if he wants the ref number.Hope that helps a bit??

Winnie

Diane Ford06/02/2016 01:34:07
469 forum posts
60 photos

Winnie

Thank you. It looks like you had similar requirements to my friend. Unfortunately, he rushed into things when he bought the other bike, and it isn't as good for him as he thought it would be. I looked on the Decathlon UK website, and that bike looks like it would suit him, and the price is very good.

This is the cross trainer I have. I wanted something that would allow me to exercise my upper body as well as my lower half, which is why I looked at air walkers and cross trainers, rather than bikes. Luckily, mine was on offer at £239.99 when I bought it from Argos. I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the full price of £599.99.

Diane

Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer

Edited By Diane Ford on 06/02/2016 01:45:43

Marlene Hutchinson08/02/2016 11:54:28
1234 forum posts
1650 photos

I've been away last week and didn't get the chance to weigh in the week before but somehow I managed 1/4 lb off..not much but good considering.

Well done to those of you that lost and good luck to us all for the week ahead.

Cheerio, Marlene face 23

Sue 6208/02/2016 13:06:00
593 forum posts
29 photos

I haven't been getting my updates so forgot to say I lost a pound last week. Hopefully another one will go tomorrow!

Good luck for the week everyone, Sue*

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues