By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

free motion help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carol Dodge16/08/2015 16:26:37
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi all,

Have purchased a free motion spring foot to go with free motion rulers I bought.

Problem is after setting it all up it is not stitching. The needle is going through the motions etc but no stitching just holes where the needle is going up and down. I have changed needle.

Any thoughts please.

Carol

rosemary Rosenfeld16/08/2015 16:50:16
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

Sorry Carol...not sure I can help you there!! The first thing I usually do when I have any sort of problem is start everything from the beginning....... bobbin...needle....foot and rethread the top thread and try again!! Have you gone back to your normal foot and checked whether that works OK now?I'm sure you've tried the obvious!!Best Rosemary

June16/08/2015 17:44:03
335 forum posts
55 photos

Have you dropped your feed dogs? Best of luck

Carol Dodge16/08/2015 19:31:11
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi Rosemary yes have tried all you said and it is still the same, it is fine on normal feet. June yes I have dropped feed dogs. Have emailed where it came from to see if they can help.

Irene B16/08/2015 21:15:38
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Carol, I don't know what free motion rulers are, but if your foot is a regular free motion foot and you have the feed dogs down and stitch length set to zero it should stitch when you move the fabric with your hands in the pattern you want it to be.

Irene x

Sylvia17/08/2015 09:30:57
2086 forum posts
342 photos

Hi Carol, I had been reading about these free motion rulers but have not used one so can't help I am afraid. Do hope you sort it. The sellers should help. Let us know.

Margaret S17/08/2015 11:34:07
3911 forum posts
703 photos

Hi Carol, I am not really sure what you are saying, but do you mean that the top thread is not picking up the bottom thread at all or is it making a bird's nests underneath? You have lowered the feed dogs, but have you also lowered the foot arm lever and have you brought the bottom thread up to the top before you start?

I am not the best to advise you, but these are just thoughts as I don't really understand why your machine will work with ordinary feet but not with the FMQ foot - it is compatible with your machine isn't it?

Margaret

Carol Dodge17/08/2015 12:35:53
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi all,

Margaret the top thread is not picking up bottom thread, it is in down position.

In process of communicating with sellers sending photos ertc. They are being very helpful.

Margaret S17/08/2015 13:30:25
3911 forum posts
703 photos

Hi Carol

I see from your posts in February that you have the same machine as me - a Pfaff QE4.2 and it was giving you some grief then. I have not tried FMQ on my machine - worried about damaging it as I am not very good at it. I've read my instruction book and if you have gone into settings and altered as instructed I can't see an obvious problem.

All I can say is that when I practised on my old now dead Pfaff one day my FMQ dramatically improved and I discovered that I had forgotten to lower the feed dogs! From then on I kept the dogs up. I've looked at some old threads on the internet and apparently some Brother models didn't pick up the bobbin thread when the dogs were dropped. Maybe yours is a Pfaff problem rather than a foot problem?

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 17/08/2015 13:31:04

Carol Dodge17/08/2015 16:48:03
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi Margaret,

Don't think it is the machine as have tried the fm foot that came with it and it is fine.

Waiting for the suppliers to get back to me after studying photos.

Thanks for your interest.

Carol

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues