Round Robin Questions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kay A28/04/2015 09:31:43
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been involved in a Round Robin? And most importantly was it enjoyable? I’ve found a few blog posts about them, and everyone is enthusing, but I guess that no-one is going to bother to blog about a bad experience. I have also seen that lots of the blog posts appear to be quite old. Have Round Robins gone out of “fashion” or perhaps it takes a while to show up in google.

And what’s a Round Robin recipe? Is that where you get to explain what you love & hate or is it where the organiser says “this round is applique & if you don’t adhere to the rules then you may spontaneously combust”? And does it have to have strict rules? I like the fact that so many people have commented in their blogs that they found it to be creatively stretching

So many questions & google is not helping me find the answers! Just searched the forum & I can see Katy organised a mini one a few years back. Someone also mentioned them recently but I can’t remember who or in which thread, but that’s what’s got me currently thinking about them.

If you’ve been involved in one then would you be happy to share your photos?

(Apologises Katy if I've posted this in the wrong topic section)

Katy28/04/2015 10:58:07
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hi Kay

I think you've sort of answered your own questions! A round robin ( to me) is usually where the top is made with a central block, and each person in the group makes a border to add to it. Sometimes I've seen row by row group quilts and even our own Quilt along, called a round robin, but I'm not totally convinced that's right.

I've not heard the recipe part, but I assume it is the rules, which as ever can be as strict or lax as the person running the group wants them to be. Sometimes fabric may be part of the swap, so you could make the first part of the quilt and then send fabric to the person making the second part.

They are fun, but there are a few bits to watch out for. The design is really important, and when we did one, my design wasn't great, the middle block was too hard, and I wish I'd done it differently.

It's a lovely thing to do with people whose tastes and skills are well known to each other, as otherwise sometimes you might get something back that you don't like much. It's also very upsetting if your quilt top is never finished because someone didn't send you a border when they should have done, or even worse, if you've sent your quilt top so far to the next person, and it doesn't come back.

Rows are easier to manage than things in the round, as the measurements are a little more flexible, so it's easier to get everything to fit properly.

Katy28/04/2015 11:01:40
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

This was Alison's quilt from a row by row swap she ran in 2013

Katy28/04/2015 11:04:09
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

This was Margaret's quilt from our round robin many years ago

mandy28/04/2015 13:03:13
1068 forum posts
153 photos

Hi Kay, I recently mentioned round robin quilts when I asked about orphan blocks.

Mandy

Margaret S28/04/2015 16:02:35
4015 forum posts
753 photos

Hi Kay

If you are a secret member of the Quilt Police then this is not for you. You must be happy to accept that not everyone has the same expertise and that the 'rounds' will reflect this.

I think it has got too expensive to post a quilt top to the next recipient for each round, particularly if people are outside the U.K. and this is why rows have become more popular. It is good fun, but quite a lot of hassle to get people to stick to the deadlines because missing a target can muck up the next round.

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld28/04/2015 16:13:20
5870 forum posts
1716 photos
13 articles

completed quilt

This is my quilt from Alisons row by row swap! Sorry that the photo is not better!

best Rosemary

Kay A29/04/2015 17:33:32
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Ahhh Mandy, so it was you who planted the seed wink My poor little head is so full of ideas, it might just explode!

All of those quilts are lovely. Are all of the oak leaves appliqued on Rosemary? That must have taken an absolute age!

So, I guessing it's all a bit hit & miss unless you know each other, and each others tastes really well.

I'm not a secret member of the Quilt Police Margaret, although I would like to infiltrate their ranks & re-write their rule book smiley

xxx

Katy30/04/2015 11:07:35
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I've had an email from lovely Juliet, she wanted to share her (gorgeous) round robin photo, made with some US quilters. The centre was the first Singing Garden block I think.

(Juliet is now at home and having physio so she says she feels a bit better)

Tessa30/04/2015 12:05:31
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Hi Kay, this is my Round Robin quilt from years ago...same swap as Margaret. I started with the centre square and then each section around the outside was added by another person. This one went all the way to New Zealand and back. I still need to add to it and back it, so it will get done someday. Tessa x

Round Robin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues