By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Colours and seasons

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TortoiseCrafts08/03/2015 15:23:13
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hello, the sun has been shinning (well, in the South East) and the daffs are beginning to flower and it has a feeling of Spring is on its way. And when looking at fabric for next projects I found myself looking at yellows, spring green and soft blue - colours of the Spring!!!

The question is am I the only person that finds my colours are inspired by the season and/or weather?

If so what inspires your fabric choices?

Diane Ford08/03/2015 16:53:01
469 forum posts
60 photos

TC

I don't like most yellows and oranges. I'm OK with pale creamy yellows and pale peachy shades, but I tend to avoid anything that is a stronger yellow or orange than those shades.

I love all shades of purple, pink and red, and tend to use those colours whenever possible, whatever the season.

Diane

Katy09/03/2015 10:36:34
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'm with you on Yellow and Orange Diane, I'm famous for avoiding them! I do sort of feel inspired by seasons, but I think it is more to do with weather, and I like summer and winter colours (but not christmassy), but I'm not keen on Autumn. I'm not mad on spring colours generally, but I like Eastery stuff very briefly!

It was foul here yesterday and now, so I'm not feeling very spring like, but it was nice on Saturday, so my Easter postcard is indeed spring colours.

Margaret S09/03/2015 11:31:23
3917 forum posts
705 photos

A couple of years ago I realised that my new projects seemed to always be in orange, gold, brown and a bit of green. This seemed to coincide with Autumn and the fact that our quilt group starts each year in September. Trying to break the habit now, but I am not keen on Winter.

Margaret

Diane Ford09/03/2015 12:35:43
469 forum posts
60 photos

Katy

Everyone who knows me well, knows I don't like yellow or orange. The first thing I did when I moved into this house was rip out the yellow poppies that were flowering in the back garden. I think I did that before I even had my first cup of coffee here, and that's saying something, with me being addicted to caffeine the way I am smiley

I haven't always had this aversion to yellow and orange, and I don't know when or why it started. When I was a teenager, back in the '60s, I made myself a bright orange with white polka dots bloomer suit, and I loved wearing that. I also remember having a bright yellow shirt, some time in the early '80s.

Diane

TortoiseCrafts09/03/2015 19:21:18
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hello, I don't like strong yellows, reds or bright oranges - I put the bright orange down to having sheets as a child that where white background with orange edges and orange flowers all over them. They just didn't wear out!!!! eventually when I was 12 I spent my birthday money on Edwardian Lady bedlinen and a duvet, it was the only way I got rid of the orange sheets!!!

I also don't like mustard or moss green very much and that is possibly as our kitchen was that colour. I look at the fabric that is mid-20th Century based and the furniture and it just reminds me of the stuff I was brought up with!!

But saying that I do use the colour, Laura's Owls (published in the magazine) has bright pink, orange, yellow and pistachio green. And the hexagon Rainbow quilt I finished earlier this year had both orange and yellow. When I showed my classes a lot liked the quilt and understood why it had orange but they don't like orange!!!

I do think in the last few years I have become more open to using different colours, certain colours work for certain projects and that means I often work in colours that aren't my instinctive or favourite ones.

Kay A10/03/2015 05:35:28
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

I don't generally like orange either, but I currently have a fixation with orange fabric. The brighter the better! That and fabric with zebras on. My taste seems to have gone a little kooky over the last year.

I was toying with the idea of Spring as the theme for April's HST swap but I don't think the colour contrasts will be strong enough. From this thread sounds like it wouldn't be too popular anyway xxx

Katy10/03/2015 11:10:12
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Spring would be great for HST! I think so anyway, and it would be a good excuse for me to use some yellow!

rosemary Rosenfeld10/03/2015 12:06:36
5703 forum posts
1661 photos
13 articles

I'm not too keen on orange (except for the autumn leaves) but I love yellows........as long as their not too acidy(?) I find them such a cheerful/sunny/happy colour!! What can be nicer that daffodils along the side of the road at this time of year! They lift my spirits after the rain and cold of the winter!!!!

Kay...... you could always just specify one colour (eg yellow) and we could use any other colour to go with it!

Best Rosemary

maria hewitt10/03/2015 13:17:50
968 forum posts
183 photos

My favourite colour when I was little was skyblue pink with yellow polka dots., followed by mauve. not a lot has changed, I still love bright colours and cannot stand brown muddy colours. as for bottle green, my old school uniform, I have only just recovered from the hatred, and bought a pair of jeggins that colour, after 40 years!

Marai

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
SewAndSo
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues