By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

pfaff problems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carol Dodge05/03/2015 11:07:48
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi all I am having trouble with my pfaff machine. It sews a few stitches then jams up with a mess of thread and fabric caught under stitch plate. Also automatic cutters are not fully cutting the thread. I have thouroughly cleaned all areas under stitch plate. Anyone any ideas before I contact manufacturers?

Thanks Carol

maria hewitt05/03/2015 11:10:31
983 forum posts
187 photos

I read somewhere, have you tried totally unthreading and re threading everything. (maybe different thread too? sounds a bit simple but you never know....

Maria.

Carol Dodge05/03/2015 11:24:37
573 forum posts
137 photos

Thanks Maria, yes I have tried different threads and bobbin etc, but makes no difference, same result.

Margaret S05/03/2015 13:13:46
4015 forum posts
753 photos

Carol, which model have you got and what are you trying to do? I know that some of the older QE4s did this but the QE4.2 seems to have solved the problem. There is also a Husqvarna that has the same problem. Have you searched on line to see if there are any reviews on your machine to see if it is a common problem?

Sorry I cannot be more specific and help you. As a Pfaff owner already, the one that I covert and was out of my price range has just been reduced by £500! indecision

Margaret

Carol Dodge05/03/2015 15:38:58
573 forum posts
137 photos

Hi Margaret. Mine is the QE 4.2, and it is happening on straight normal stitching.

Will have to take it in to supplier on Monday, luckily it is still under warrenty, but I feel as if I am lost without it,, up till now it has worked like a dream.

June05/03/2015 18:11:40
335 forum posts
55 photos

Have you checked the tension on the bobbin? Had the same thing happen to me and I'm sure that's what it turned out to be. Good luck

Carol Dodge05/03/2015 21:11:49
573 forum posts
137 photos

Don't think it is possible to alter tension on bobbin in this machine, can alter the top thread tension. The manual doesn't mention altering the bobbin tension. Thinking about it this does sound strange. This is getting more and more complex. Will be interesting to find out the answer to this problem.

June06/03/2015 07:48:33
335 forum posts
55 photos

If you look at the bobbin case, is there not a small screw? If so, then it's righty/tighty - lefty/loosey wink. Can't say I've seen every type of bobbin case there is but there always seems to be screw so you can adjust the tension. Will be interested to find out what the answer is for you x

Carol Dodge06/03/2015 10:40:53
573 forum posts
137 photos

Latest in the pfaff problem. Got box and packing out ready to take to shop so they could have a look at it. After reading June's post thought I will have a really good look. So, now this is going to sound really silly but should give you all a laugh. I had a long talk to it, something along the lines about how wonderful it was, and how I couldn't bear to be apart from it. Anyway,armed with a torch took the stitch plate off had a look at bobbin case, which does not have any screws like my other machine had, gave it another thorough brush everywhere, then put it back to gether, (still talking to it). Then I tried running it with no thread, noticed the feeddogs did appear to raise up slightly to where they were. Thought give it one last go with thread and material, and guess what it appears to be working. Really praised it, after this.

Will machine on it Sunday and fingers crossed it has righted itself. There must be a morale to all this.

Sorry this is so long but thought you might like a laugh, and thanks June if it had not been for reading your post probably would not have given it one last go.

Margaret S06/03/2015 14:29:30
4015 forum posts
753 photos

Fingers crossed for you too Carol. I know 3 people who have got the Q.E.4.2 and I seem to remember one of them had problems at the very beginning and it was because she was not being particular enough about her cleaning. I think the machines are quite fussy about the amount of lint that they will tolerate. I know that my Janome Horizon has to be cleaned out much more regularly than is normal for me and particular attention has to be paid to the thread cutter area.

I don't usually speak to them kindly. I tend to tell them what will happen if they don't work!

If you are able, please don't take this machine to workshops. It really is a sophisticated computer that stitches and doesn't like being bounced about in a car. One of my friends had terrible problems with a QE4.

Margaret

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues