By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Half Square Triangle Swap

Make some HSTs using a really easy method & swap them with your PP friends

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Join in whenever you feel like it. Swap with Kay and friends to build up a lovely Half Square Triangle selection

Kay A02/03/2015 08:25:47
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Hi Everyone

I saw this video on YouTube & thought it sounded like a fun idea!

I know that Rosemary is giving us a month off of Half Square Triangles over on the Astronomical Star Friendship Swap, but this is such an easy peasy way to make them!

Basically you make up a load of Half Square Trianges (HST), using HST paper (I've found a link to some we can print for free) & leave them folded up with the paper still on them for the swap. That way the receiver gets to open up the little triangles & have the surprise of the lovely fabrics. You can write your name on the paper so that everyone knows who it is from.

For anyone who doesn't know a HST is a square made up of 2 triangles of different fabrics, one light & one dark. There are loads of patterns using them or they can be used for borders, etc.

So I'm looking for people who are interested in doing a swap. I'm happy to run this swap on a monthly basis if enough people want to join in, with a different theme/colour each month. All you have to do is let me know on this thread if you're interested & send the HST by a certain date so I can get them mixed up & sent back out to everyone.

The swap would involve swapping 36 HST which sounds like loads but as each A4 printout of the 2" finished size paper gives 18 HST, this is only 2 sheets & will probably take less than an hour to make (excluding fabric choosing time) as there is no trimming to size needed. You then send them all to me with an SAE (with real stamps on not the post office printable ones) & I'll swap them all up with everyone else's & post your new 36 triangles back to you.

How to use HST paper

• Lay your light & dark fabrics together, right side facing, with the lighter colour on the top.
  • Pin your HST paper firmly on top.
  • Sew along the dotted line all the way around. This can be done almost in one go.
  • Then cut along the solid lines & voila you're done!
  • If you write your name on the paper then everyone will know who they are from

When you receive your triangles to use them you'll need to remove the paper, press open, snip off the bunny ears & sit back & marvel at the beautiful fabrics your PP friends have.

The free printable HST paper has got a 1" scale on it, which you will need to check. The first couple of times I tried to print it, it wasn't coming out perfectly, but it's an easy solve as your computer & printer are just scaling it to try to make the page fit to the whole sheet of paper. When you send it to your printer you may need to turn page scaling off in the printer settings.

For the first swap I thought it could be "quilters choice", so no particular colours, just good quality 100% cotton quilting fabric, but no seasonal prints (Christmas, Halloween, etc). If you let me know on this thread if you're in by the 15th March & then send your triangles to me by the end of March I can get them posted back out in the first week of April.

Let me know on this thread if you are interested so I know how many people are in and also if you have any ideas for future swap themes

Thanks

Kay xxx

Edited By Katy on 02/03/2015 10:44:52

rosemary Rosenfeld02/03/2015 08:33:00
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

Sounds like a great idea Kay! I'll check out the video later!! We'll need to send an SAE with them of course!!

Best Rosemary

Kay A02/03/2015 08:41:24
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Thanks Rosemary, I knew that there would be at least one thing I forgot to mention. I'll see if I can work out how to edit the original post

K xxx

Jayne02/03/2015 08:58:41
675 forum posts
118 photos

Kay,

Sounds lovely, is this an opt in and out each month or a long term commitment? I can't commit to a full year due to impending hand surgery, but would love to join in on the months I can.

Don't forget the SAE needs to be real postage stamps not a printed gold label. This is because of the targets the Royal Mail have to meet for first and second class mail delivery times and the label having a pre-printed date.

Jayne x

Kay A02/03/2015 09:23:41
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Great tip about the postage Jayne!

It would be opt in each month if you wanted to, I know life just gets in the way sometimes of the things that we really want to do

Katy02/03/2015 12:20:27
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'm in Kay!

Irene B02/03/2015 12:25:46
4433 forum posts
405 photos

This sounds really tempting. I watched the video......it was so good. I have done half square triangles using this method and found it really quick and easy. I'll have to have a think indecision

Irene xx rose

rosemary Rosenfeld02/03/2015 13:12:36
5694 forum posts
1660 photos
13 articles

I'm in Kay! I've just watched the video as well! I would like to make a quilt from Kathrine Guerrier's Scrap Quilt Sensation book!!

Best Rosemary

Beryl Hedley02/03/2015 13:18:16
821 forum posts
145 photos

Thank s Kay .I have just watched the video. What fun.

Them I remembered that I have a roll of the paper triangles so I' m going to have a try .

Beryl

Caz02/03/2015 13:43:44
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Hello Ladies,,,

It has been a while since I joined in anything,, so I will say 'YES' to this one. I have a day off on Friday,,, so hopefully I can get them done then.

Caz xx

Kay,, please pm me your address,, thankyou.

Been a while since I posted on here,, I forgot my password!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
Janome
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues