By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sew Happy Quilt A Long

A fabric swap and a raffle quilt for Trade Aid in one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Sew Happy Quilt-Along

Sew Happy Quilt-Along

Mandy Munroe continues her modern quilting adventure with her four-part quilt-along. April issue: part 4: Blocks 8 and 9, border 3, quilting and finishing

Sew Happy Quilt-Along Guidelines

Sew Happy Quilt-Along Guidelines

In January we started our Quilt-Along (QAL) with Mandy Monroe. For those of you who have not taken part in a QAL before, here are some general guidelines to help you start up a QAL to make the quilt.

Katy27/01/2015 10:41:32
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

face 17 Sulking! don't like it!

katys centre and potential partial border two

I was a bit stupid, I got all my orientation right, sewed my centre block, and then realised I'd made the alternative block by mistake. So now my orientation is all wrong in the right block. I think I'm going to do the corner block hsts in Margaret seed head green, but I'm experimenting.

Still don't like my yellow, it pops far too much for me!

Cathy Porteus 227/01/2015 11:49:01
189 forum posts
40 photos

I did find the yellow a bit strong when just combined with the other swap fabrics. I think it's just because the other 4 are all quite fresh colours, where as the yellow is warm, as well as fairly deep. The blue stars is the same depth, but doesn't stand out as much because it tones in with the other 2 bluey green fabrics. That's why I started added more fabrics to try and make them mix in better and then ended up with a mad scrappy combination!

I do like the yellow though, it's pretty and I will use it in other pieces I'm sure.

NB some of my blocks mysteriously ended up the wrong way round, good job I've got a nice unpicker!

rosemary Rosenfeld27/01/2015 12:32:23
5927 forum posts
1741 photos
13 articles

Well I like it Katy! Best Rosemary

Margaret S28/01/2015 10:54:16
4031 forum posts
760 photos

Katy, I don't have a problem with yellow. I am probably 'teaching my grandmother ......' but you could always tone it down if it really bothers you by either stitching lines, grids or waves across the yellow squares in a darker, maybe green, thread or wait until you get to the quilting and quilt over it to dilute the colour.

Twenty years ago I used to give my quilt teacher a nervous breakdown by regularly using black and bright yellow!

Margaret

Katy28/01/2015 10:58:57
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'm just yellowist! I think I'll lose the darker green and just live with the yellow, and see how it balances out later. I might tone it done, but it may be ok when I;ve got used to it. I'll try and finish it tonight, if I ever dry out! I got ridiculously wet and cold this morning, and I can't get myself in gear now.

Lexy30/01/2015 18:17:50
297 forum posts
81 photos

Ok been busy cutting, piecing, ironing and more cutting! This is a great project for me to practice all those things - here's what I've got so far. I'm going with one of the alternate layouts from the February issue, at least for the centre. I've added a slightly cooler yellow colour and a splash of brighter pink from my stash to try and balance out all the colours. Hoping it doesn't end up too blue at this rate.

So Happy Quilt Along 1

rosemary Rosenfeld01/02/2015 18:10:13
5927 forum posts
1741 photos
13 articles

I am now up to date but a photo will have to wait until tomorrow and better light! I haven't mastered the art of taking photos in artificial light and having the colours accurate yet! I haven' used all the fabrics yet but that's because I have plans for the rest!Best Rosemary

Katy02/02/2015 10:24:58
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Looking good Lexy!

I'm not up to date at all, I didn't feel very well on Friday or Saturday, and I had a two hour phonecall about the plan for all the websites on Saturday, so I didn't feel up to sewing. On Sunday I had to make everyone do their homework, as I normally make them do that on Saturday, and then I did the diary dates for the april issue. Maybe tonight...

rosemary Rosenfeld02/02/2015 12:52:27
5927 forum posts
1741 photos
13 articles

Here are my blocks so far..... I have added some fabrics from previous years birthday club!

qal rr1.jpg

The dark is more pink than red... not a good photo!!! Sorry!

best Rosemary

Cathy Porteus 202/02/2015 13:04:18
189 forum posts
40 photos

Looking very nice Rosemary and Lexy, good to see how the fabrics can look so different when combined with others. I've got a bit ahead of myself and done the last block too, I just need to do the long side pieces now, will wait for the next magazine for that.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners