By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sew Happy Quilt A Long

A fabric swap and a raffle quilt for Trade Aid in one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Sew Happy Quilt-Along

Sew Happy Quilt-Along

Mandy Munroe continues her modern quilting adventure with her four-part quilt-along. April issue: part 4: Blocks 8 and 9, border 3, quilting and finishing

Sew Happy Quilt-Along Guidelines

Sew Happy Quilt-Along Guidelines

In January we started our Quilt-Along (QAL) with Mandy Monroe. For those of you who have not taken part in a QAL before, here are some general guidelines to help you start up a QAL to make the quilt.

Katy11/12/2014 10:12:37
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

My examples were just examples, not a list to pick from, but I'm quite keen on the colours already used in the picture

I might have some more details to post online today, depending on fixing websites work....

Katy06/01/2015 09:28:14
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hi everyone, I'm back from Cornwall now so I'm back to work.

Would anyone else like to join in with this one? So far we have me, Margaret S, Rosemary, Cathy P and Lexy and possibly Carol D. If it's ok, I'd like to go with a bright/pastel modern fabric scheme for swapping. I'll need to check but I think we each need to buy a metre/yard of swapping fabric, and our own background fabric etc.

I have the newsletter to write today, but I'll pop back here later with confirmed details of what to buy.

Edited By Katy on 06/01/2015 10:13:04

Margaret S06/01/2015 09:49:10
4029 forum posts
759 photos

cryingcrying Struck off? I'd still like to be part of this one Katy. laugh

Margaret

Katy06/01/2015 10:12:50
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Sorry Margaret! I don't know how that happened, you were on the list in my head, and must have bypassed my fingers! surprise

maria hewitt06/01/2015 10:32:50
988 forum posts
187 photos

I can't commit to this, as I want to see how my time pans out this month, ( new puppy arriving this weekend, and I am in no illusion that it will be very time consuming to start with). But I will watch with interest and maybe​ " do my own thing along" as I get the opportunity.

Maria

Katy06/01/2015 10:37:32
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

No problem Maria! I'm working my way up to your puppy news, Ralph is settling in, but I'm not in any position to advise anyone, it's very hard work so far! He is not very toilet trained, he has only been allowed outside at all for a week, and I was away for two days, and he's terrified of the outdoors, so no chance that he will go to the toilet outside. He's technically allowed to go out properly from today, but I don't think he will manage an actual walk. It doesn't help that it's very cold and rainy, and although he has got a coat, he gets confused and falls over sideways each time we try it on!

Carol Dodge06/01/2015 14:18:22
573 forum posts
137 photos

Sorry Katy, will have to pass on this one after all

Katy07/01/2015 12:52:27
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Thanks everyone. No problem Carol!

That makes five of us so far, so we each need to buy the following, assuming you want to make a quilt similar to the one featured in part one.

• 1m (1yd) mid-tone fabric to swap
  • 50–75cm (1⁄2–3⁄4yd) in total of light
    fabric/s
  • 50cm (1⁄2yd) in total of dark or
    contrast fabric/s

Assuming no-one else joins, we will need to cut the mid-tone fabric into 5 pieces. The magazine instructions say to cut the yard in half selvedge to selvedge, giving two 18 x WOF strips, and then cut these into sections for swapping.

"Group of five – each person will get five different fabric strips approx. 18 x 16in (84 ÷ 5 = 16 1⁄2in), with one person getting two smaller strips 9 x 18in"

As the numbers don't work very well for five, four people will get a normal sized piece, and I suggest we keep the two smaller leftover pieces for ourselves.

So basically, please buy a yard/meter of brightish modern mid-tone fabric now, and I'll confirm how many pieces to cut it into on Monday. If you post your swap peices to me with an SAE, I'll sort them and post the swap bundles back again.

Is that OK?

rosemary Rosenfeld07/01/2015 13:06:58
5921 forum posts
1739 photos
13 articles

Fine by me Katy..... a good excuse to visit my LQS on Thurs. Best Rosemary

Lexy07/01/2015 13:26:30
297 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Katy

I don't have anything in that much quantity so I will try to get to a fabric shop this weekend and pick something up.

And whilst I remember it what sort of postage do you think we'll need on the SAE?

~Lexy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues