By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Winnie the B.O.L.B

Here is a list of all the postings Winnie the B.O.L.B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
27/04/2018 08:03:27

I second what Rosemary said - we all know what need one - or several! - of those is like. Never hesitate.

I certainly know what a list of rotten, tiring hospital appointments feels like so I'm with you on that one.

Margaret/Winnie xxx

Thread: Block challenge (non swap)
24/04/2018 09:06:42

Lovely Rosemary - you've used my very, very favourite kind of fabrics - you can never have too many butterflies in my opinion

20/04/2018 22:25:33

What totally lousy things to be happening to you. All I can think to say is that you can count on all your friends here to be sending you lots of love and thinking about you. You are absolutely entitled to be extremely fed up.

Get as much pleasure and relaxation as possible from your retreat - you are such a beautiful sewer in every area that it is the perfect thing for you to do.

Love and hugs

Margaret/Winnie xxx

11/04/2018 12:32:41

I'm really happy you like it - a lot of love from everyone went into the work. I know Dany will definitely be cuddling up into it.

Margaret/Winnie xx

11/04/2018 09:45:59

Thank you so much Rosemary for posting al of this on behalf of all of us over here in South West France - my computer skills - or lack of them - always make me nervous about listing photos!!

Thank you most of all to all of you lovely ladies on the Forum who contributed blocks and without whom none of this would have been possible. If you don't recognise the block, it is called the "Friendship Star". Dany lost her husband to Alzheimers last year , after caring for him constantly for a long time and we wanted her to know that there were lots of friends and love out there for her. She was absolutely flabergasted when we presented it to her.

We couldn't make this "public" on the Forum before now as Dany logs on quite regularly - she is trying to learn more English than her basic schoolgirl stuff - and it was a complete secret from her until yesterday.

Margaret/Winnie xx

PS - because we are in the Mairie (the Mayor's building in the village), we have the portrait of the French President on the wall, looking over us as we work!!!! He seems to approve!

04/04/2018 14:35:11

That's super Rosemary - I didn't know you'd done this design - well done.

Good Luck, Pam, for your version. I'm sure you'll make a lovely job of it - you are always so patient and talented.

Margaret/Winnie xx

30/03/2018 22:27:09

That's a really good slant on the Shoo Fly (I think?) - I like it a lot.

Love

Margaret/Winnie xx

15/03/2018 18:15:47

What a great idea Eileen.

Margaret/Winnie xx

Thread: How do yo u do your bindings
15/03/2018 18:10:59

Margaret S - thank you for replying - your extra info is very much appreciated - I totally understood the method after your explanation. It's a super idea in these cases.

Fiona - thanks you to you also - I'm glad my idea is of some use but your more economic version is absolutely great. I must give it a try as Vilene itself is harder on the purse than your starch version. The alcohol additive is a wonderful inspiration. I definitely try it next time it fits the bill.

Margaret/Winnie xx

14/03/2018 07:31:14

Sorry to be a bit "thick", but I don't know what is meant by "bagging"? Can someone be kind and explain it to me.

Regarding Fiona's comment about cutting on the bias when she wants to use a striped fabric on the "cross". When I want to use a fabric on the cross but want to avoid the inevitable stretch involved, I use a very fine iron-on Vislene (Vilene) on the back of the fabric BEFORE I cut my strips and that helps to stabilise the stretch. Hope that makes sense.

Margaret/Winnie xx

13/03/2018 12:26:22

Thank you from me too Carol - I do miss Katy a lot but glad she is "getting there."- even if it's a step at a time.

Margaret/Winnie xx

11/03/2018 13:51:43

Hi - I'll start off here on Chat to catch your attention but I'll create a "Pieced Backings" thread if it needs it.

Anyhow, I often do pieced backings - I have a large fabric and scrap stash tht is too good to waste. However, because I have no idea how to square it all up to sit correctly with the front and I have always believed I should be doing a wee bit of "stretching" to keep my backing fabric straight and flat, I have only ever done scrappy type ones so that I can cut them to size with no problem visually. Does that make any sense?

I really would like to use more structured ones sometimes but I need some lessons, guidance, tips etc. Can anyone help, please - all contributions gratefully received!!!!

Margaret/Winnie

Thread: How do yo u do your bindings
11/03/2018 13:42:24

I always do a double binding - normally narrow-ish (2 " / 2 1/8" cut strip) unless, as occasionally, I use a heavier fabric when I use a single fold and probably.a wee bit wider finish width.

Like Margaret S, where possible I cut across the width of the fabric because of the slight stretch and I always join my lengths on the cross.

If it is for a throw about, everyday lap type quilt, then I will probably do “non-mitred” corners. Again, if it is the former type, then I do machine top-stitched finishing, from the front. If the quilt has a more hand sewn type finish or is just generally for slightly gentler use, I machine stitch it to the front and hand slip stitch it to the back. I've never tried "fancy" stitching to finish it on the front - I'm going to give that a go.

Winnie/Margaret xx

Thread: Friendship Swap 2016/7
09/03/2018 18:59:55

Rosemary -That's a really fun quilt - what a great thought.Looking forward to seeing your next one.

I'm hoping to show you my efforts with my blocks from that swap. I am making a quilt fro a lovley lady in our village who, due to a really horrific nerve illness has, very sadly, ended up in a wheelchair, It is nearly complete - just the back of the binding to sew.

Margaret/Winnie xxx

05/03/2018 10:24:12

Thank you Rosemary for "my" super block - it is so lovely and bright, with my absolutely favourite pattern - butterflies!!

The Dandy block is a design I haven't seen before and I didn't see the thread as I was in and out of hospital in January. Sorry about that.

Your choice of a Snowball for March - is that referring to any recent occurrences in your neck of Europe!!

Margaret/Winnie xx

19/02/2018 18:51:46

Super block Eileen - was in hospital today for some treatment so it was a lovely welcome home for me to see your block smiling back at me. The dark print fabric is very eye-catching.

Margaret/Winnie xxx

15/02/2018 17:08:15

No Rosemary - the news hadn't reached me - that would be horrible if no one equally good replaces them - I have quite a lot of fabrics with Free Spirit as their origin. They contribute a lot to many lovely ranges.

Margaret/Winnie xxx

08/02/2018 18:33:27

That is beautiful and so wonderfully original, Margaret. It is just gorgeous - thank you for making such a super effort..

Margaret/Winnie xxx

04/02/2018 15:27:40

Hi Folks - I can't do much just now with the "restrictions" on my screen time but I thought I could manage this one.

So, can I suggest, for February's block, a somewhat appropriate one coming from me. It is called MARGARET'S CHOICE! It's a star block - mine is a 12" square - made with half square triangles and using 3 different fabrics and you can find it on "quilterscache.com". Rosemary is going to post my photo for me.

Hope you get some fun results with it - it will be good to see the different effects that folks get just by changing the fabrics. Sorry I can't contribute lots more right now but I'll be keeping an eye on it!!!

Cheers

Margaret/Winnie xxx

29/01/2018 00:04:32

Having lovely friends is one of the best thins about being part of the Forum . Oh dear, I just realised I should be on line at this time of night - must go! I'll have to learn!

Thanks Reenie - they won't improve if I don't get off to bed now!!!!!

Margaret/Winnie xxxxx

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners