By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Winnie the B.O.L.B

Here is a list of all the postings Winnie the B.O.L.B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
22/06/2020 18:42:02

Really pleased to hear it, Sylvia. Without our machines, we are no use to man nor beast!!!!

Winnie/Margaret xx

20/06/2020 18:16:46

I have to "admit" to being very careful about this - even more especially since I bought my present machine which is a kinda expensive Bernina! I clean it superficially - thread guides, bobbin case, throat plate etc, every week - more often when I am working with "fluffy" fabrics. I clean/oil (tiny amount) the whole thing including the innards, once a month.

It is incredible how much fluff and lint gathers in such a short space of time. I bought a can of "dust buster" spray when I bought my latest machine and it gets into the smallest of nooks and crannies and it is amazing how much blows out from even there.

I don't mean to sound superior about this in any way - I just have a bit of a thing about it.

Winnie/Margaret x

04/06/2020 16:41:47

How right you are, Margaret - I won't quote any examples from this house - they are too numerous to mention!!!

Rosemary - I don't log on very often these days so this is the first time I have seen several of those gorgeous pieces of work. - they are absolutely beautiful - understatement of the year, in fact.

Winnie/Margaret xx

16/04/2020 19:54:26

Out of Date and WAY in the back of the cupboard?!!

Well, 2 boxes of Knorr stock cubes - 2013; 3 jars of Mustard - 2014; 2 tins of peeled tomatoes - 2014; 4 various jars of spices - 2011 - 2014 - and the rest I can't remember (we did it 3 weeks ago!).

I've been through my wardrobe - and my husband's - and put them in a Sally Army bag for "later" - 5 pairs of shoes that never, ever fitted - 2013-2015. 2 jackets - our of fashion since 2010!!!!!!; 1 coat - shamefully it will NEVER fit again! -2013; 3 sweatshirts- not worn since 2014 - too small - and don't like anymore either. Fancy "glittery" jumper - 2009!!! Definitely Mutton dressed as lamb now!

Hubby - 4 shirts - hasn't wear since he retired - 1997??????????????. Smart jacket - same reason and to small even for a funeral!!!! 7 pairs of socks - he hates them - 2015.

I could go on but it will get boring.

Winnie/Margaret

Thread: Stay at home retreat....will you join me?
11/04/2020 18:43:34

Great idea Rosemary - sadly, I am completely and utterly useless at posting photos - I really mean it - so I can't join in but I will log in to see what's happening with my more IT savvy friends!!

Margaret/Winnie

Thread: Chat
06/04/2020 14:31:31

Sorry that the suppliers can't/won't(?) help - very frustrating as I can appreciate that having to pay a tradesman to do the work would make an already expensive job unbelievably expensive.

My washing machine is a long and boring saga - suffice to say that a firm tried to scam us for £260 plus VAT for a part that we eventually sourced for ourselves, direct from the manufacturer for the grand total of £49 including express delivery and which my hubby fitted himself in 5 mins!!!!!!

However, as I said, I now have a fully functioning washing machine which is not flooding the floor and is also taking in water where and when it should!! I would have been reduced to soucing a scrubbing board if it wasn't as, because we are completely self-isolating (age group plus my ill health), a new one could not have been delivered beyond the front door and no one in our circle of friends would have been allowed to help - and we live in an upper floor maisonette!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with whatever "solution" you can find in the meantime. Long may your daughter see "the wisdom" of cutting down on the wash load!!

Margaret xx

06/04/2020 12:58:48

Oh Eileen - how terrifying for you and your family. What a dreadful shock and worry for you all. I'm sure that you have already asked all the appropriate suppliers to get the negative answer you talk about but I do know that up here in Scotland suppliers/workmen who are undertaking "essential work" are allowed to both supply the materials and carry out the work if it is considered to be essential - for example, we were able to get someone out to try to get our washing machine repaired - that's a story for another day!! Surely a disaster such as yours would be considered "essential/emergency" especially as some construction companies are being allowed to continue to work.

I'll be thinking about you.

Winnie the BOLB/Margaret xx

01/04/2020 13:51:16

Sorry Rosemary - probably being my usual stupid self but I can't find the pattern you were talking about!!!!!!!!!

Haven't posted for "forever" - life has been a bit grotty - but I do read all the posts that come in.

Cheers

Maggie the BOLB!!

11/01/2020 13:29:37

Happy New Year to everyone. I''ve not been here very often recently - life is unfortunately very complicated these days but I do still read most of the posts directly in my inbox.

Margaret - I hope your cold is well and truly gone by now - it sounded rotten

The direct link didn't work on my Mac, Rosemary but I managed to link in myself. The work is gorgeous - unfortunately out of reach budget-wise but, as you say, well worth drooling over!!!

Winnie/Margaret xx

Edited By Winnie the B.O.L.B on 11/01/2020 13:30:54

23/11/2019 18:12:44

Thanks for the "head's up", Rosemary - worth a look, definitely.

Eileen - well done you - you should be very proud.

Winnie/Margaret x

09/09/2019 21:25:52

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and fabric suggestions. Unfortunately, OHs insisted on steering us in a different direction!!!Margaret/Winnie xx

09/09/2019 08:30:57

Just saw Rosemary’s post!! Been too busy enjoying her super hospitality to check emails!! Going out with her - and her OH of course - to visit either Salisbury or Bath today. Wonder if there are any fabric shops around??!! Love Margaret/Winnie xx

31/08/2019 09:05:44

That sounds like a good idea Brenda. Really keen to try it. Will do it today if I can. Thank for the suggestion. Margaret/Winnie xx

30/08/2019 23:13:45

Hello All - a long time since I've been on here - health/life has been even more chaotic than before over these last months!! However, I saw Rosemary's post about wadding and I too use Margaret S's zigzag method for very small bits - very successfully - but I love the wadding tape even more. I find it gives me virtually "new" wadding with small but not tiny bits. The reason I don't use it for a load of very small bits is really cost - the amount you would need would outweigh the wadding "gains". As I say, I really love the wadding tape - I'm a real fan.

Margaret/Winnie xx

11/05/2019 08:37:36

Hi Rosemary,

She's got it, I think she's got it!!!!

Thanks for the instructions - I found it no problem at all with those. The baskets are just lovely - what a clever idea - the magazine is lucky to have you as a contributor.

Margaret/Winnie xx

10/05/2019 18:05:25

Sorry Rosemary - how do I get the INFO for the JUNE issue - I am only getting April when I click.

Margaret/Winnie x

10/05/2019 18:00:07

Just realised that I WAS looking in the wrong place!!! Off to search for the right place!!!

Margaret/Winnie x

10/05/2019 17:57:49

Hi Rosemary - just had a look as you suggested but I'm not sure if I am looking at the right info! Only name I saw that might be possible was "Chris" - but I don't know "our" Chris's surname!!

Margaret/Winnie x

20/04/2019 22:18:55

And we thought it was a good idea to leave our sun terrace parasols behind us in the Dordogne!!! We actually had to take shade in the house up here in Edinburgh!!!!

Hope you all had your sun screen at the ready!

Winnie/Margaret xx

17/03/2019 23:04:14

Margaret S - I completely agree with you - sore fingers and screaming point don't have a look in! Normally I would have done just that but, as that kind of luck so often has it, my backing was a particularly pretty fabric, chosen after much deliberation and thought (and I had no more) so I was really reluctant to hide it!!!

Hope DH is feeling even better tonight - and even more so by tomorrow morning.

Eileen - first of all - I'll send you virtual good luck with your scan tomorrow - just remind yourself how wonderful your first meal will be when your fast is finished!! As for "frog stitch" - no ignorance involved on your part - it's one of these "daft" expressions used by quilters like me who do lots of unpicking - the relevance is the sound made by frogs - ripit, ripit, ripit - try saying it out loud!

Rosemary and Eileen - any advice to give me re the spray baste - I just don't know what happened on such a relatively small item?

Margaret/Winnie xx

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues