By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stephs stitches.

Here is a list of all the postings stephs stitches. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What product do I need? help!
10/08/2020 12:45:13

Thank you for your answer Margaret, I think I’ll wait until I can get a “real life” demo before I spend on any rulers. My local quilt shop was doing classes and workshop until lockdown. Hopefully they will start up again sometime 🤞🏻. Meanwhile I’ll carry on with the walking foot 😀

08/08/2020 14:06:30

I would like to learn how to use quilting rulers. I hadn’t heard of them until recently and I’m curious. I have a Janome Atelier 3. I’m absolutely useless at free motion quilting, I think you need a little artistic ability to be able to do this. I have trouble drawing a stick man 🤣. Any advice welcome 😀. Maybe an idea for the magazine?

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
03/08/2020 15:27:22

What a pretty peg bag Eileen, very similar to the ones I make. I haven’t got a pattern though. I just copied a picture from Pinterest 😉. Then made it up as I went along.

Margaret, I love the colours in your quilt, very cheerful 😀.

18/06/2020 09:55:37

I added a lot more stitching, learning as I go. Sometimes with a hoop sometimes not. I’ve bought some different needles for next time. Oh it will be nice when all the shops open again, I’ve e been trying to find a quilt hanger for this one but no one online seems to have one the right size that would look right next to my others on the wall in my sewing room So I’ve cobbled one together with a couple of bits of dowel and a coat hanger - it’ll do for now 😀. It?s finished,

03/06/2020 18:55:55

Peg bag 2Makeup / toiletries bagsMore “ lockdown” sewing. Another couple of peg bags for some friends. Made from old jeans. No one throws jeans in the bin in my family 😂

Also, a few make up / toiletries bags. Just because I enjoyed making them and also as they come in handy for gifts with a couple of treats inside.Peg bag 2 front

02/06/2020 22:15:05

Not so tickled pinkHere’s my latest project made during lockdown. It’s from a pattern called “ Tickled Pink wall hanging” from feb 2015 issue. I used lots of batik scraps and a piece of white sheeting fabric. Obviously with no shops open I’ve had to make do with what I had in. It’s also my first attempt at hand or big stitch quilting. You might notice that it’s not quite finished that’s because I’ve strained my wrist holding the quilting ring for so long and I’m having to give it a rest for a few days .

Thread: Hand quilting or Big Stitch quilting
27/04/2020 18:58:09

Thanks for your advice Margaret, I was at work this morning hence the delay in thanking you. I’ve since scoured the internet and ordered some thread, I’ll hopefully show off the results in a few weeks time 🌈

27/04/2020 07:58:35

Good morning everyone, I hope you’re all getting lots of sewing done during theses testing times.
I’m making a small quilt or wall hanging, it’s a pattern from an old issue of the magazine. Big stitch quilting is suggested and I quite fancy giving it a go. I usually opt for machine quilting because of a lack of patience 😂. But as we have an abundance of spare time at the moment now is the time. Can you advise me on equipment? I’ve read about using a frame? I’ve seen a round one that’s 18inch diameter and 3/4 inch depth. Would this be a good thing to buy? Also which thread would you recommend for a beginner! Obviously I’m having to buy these things online with all the shops being closed. Thanks . Stay Safe 🌈💐

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
16/04/2020 19:24:35

What a lovely quilt, I’m trying to choose my favourite block but they’re all super. Beautiful warm colours too. I hope it raises lots of money for the charity 👏🏻

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
13/04/2020 19:47:45

I also found this little project in and old issue, oops it’s gone sideways 🤣11049a51-d595-46ea-a44e-33cdc8124502.jpeg

13/04/2020 19:12:55

Hi everyone, you may have seen my earlier post on another thread saying that I was about to receive my new sewing machine. It arrived just in time for the lockdown, so I’ve had a great time trying it out. The machine is a Janome Atelier 3 and I’m very pleased with it so far, it’s been very easy to set up from start to finish, there’s still more to figure out as always but here is a picture of my first little project. It’s instead of a bunch of flowers for a colleague that off work recovering from surgery. There are no real flowers in the shops locally so that’s why I ended up doing this, its also kept the boredom away whilst staying at home.  I thought I’d got the lettering level until I looked at the photo 😱, it’s hand stitched. Get well Dawn

Edited By stephs stitches. on 13/04/2020 19:14:07

Thread: Chat
31/03/2020 23:01:28

Thanks for all you replies, my new machine arrives tomorrow 😀😀. I’ll let you know how I get on with it. I thought I was getting the 10 year guarantee but it seems that not available on Janome machines so it’s just 2 years. But I’m hopeful that it won’t be an issue 🤞🏻.

30/03/2020 22:25:19

Thanks for that Margaret, I’m absolute rubbish at fmq, so it’s walking foot all the time for me. I’ve found a good deal on the Janome with 10year guarantee and free quilting kit. The reviews I’ve read seem good so I’m very tempted. Plus it’s almost half what I paid for the Pfaff. I only sew for pleasure, a few gifts and charity bits and bobs so I don’t want to spend a fortune.

30/03/2020 21:48:16

I’m on the brink of ordering a Janome Atelier 3. Anyone tried one of these?

Edited By stephs stitches. on 30/03/2020 21:48:37

30/03/2020 17:03:49

Hi there fellow sewers, I hope everyone is getting lots of stitching done during this trying time 💐.
I have a problem, my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 has let me down again. Its stuck doing around 30stitches to the inch and sounds like a bunch of rusty nails. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it needed a new stitch length motor. The fella who worked on it, a local machine technician said that he’d never work on one of those again, it was such a faff (‘scuse the pun). In order to replace that part he had to take the whole thing apart. The machine is only 7 years old, I paid just over £1000 for it so I was hoping it would last much longer without issues. My previous machine lasted 30 years + .
If it’s ready for the bin, I would appreciate any recommendations you may have, but I don’t plan on spending anywhere near that amount again.
sorry to rant on but - I miss sewing 😢

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
16/12/2019 20:56:54
  1. My latest project, made for my son and his girlfriend for Christmas. A jelly roll pattern originally, but I bought by the meter so that I could make to the requested colours.Stars to dream under , backstars to dream under

Edited By stephs stitches. on 16/12/2019 20:57:27

15/12/2019 18:44:09

Hello, I’ve recently treated myself to a sizzix big shot machine, I managed to get a good deal in a Black Friday sale.

can anyone recommend a book of ideas or patterns that might be useful for quilt making etc. Alternatively i would love to see something along these lines in the magazine 🤔

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
02/10/2019 19:14:48

Fiona I love your denim quilt, the hexie flowers are super.

23/09/2019 14:09:00

Thanks for that, I asked in my local WHSmith last week and they thought it may be in tomorrow

20/09/2019 13:38:50

Hi, what date can I expect to find the October edition of the magazine in the local shops? I let my subscription lapse but I’m thinking of starting it up again. If I sign up today can anyone tell me if it would start with the October edition?

Thanks 😀

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues