By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Marian C

Here is a list of all the postings Marian C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quilty Bloggers
30/10/2015 23:33:12

I like the following blogs/websites : thecraftyquilter.com; fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com; aspoonfulofsugardesigns.blogspot.com ; www.sewcanshe.com; www.sewmamasew.com

Marian

Thread: using fleece
17/09/2015 20:59:52

I used fleece as a backing on this quilt. I cut the fleece larger than the top then quilted. Then I trimmed the fleece to 1/2 to 3/4 inch all round and folded to the front, then zigzagged all the way around, folding the corners into a mitre.

image.jpg

Thread: Bag special 2015
19/08/2015 23:43:56

I am struggling with the instructions on this bag. First of all there appears to be an error in the cutting instructions - the fusible foam batting should be cut to 17.5 x 21.5 inch rectangle, and not 7.5 x 21.5 inches.

Next, I fail to understand the instructions for the caddy lining and inner pockets on page 70. The instructions at point 2 say to to place the two inner pocket rectangles right sides together and then bind the top of one of them - should this not read as " place the two inner pocket rectangles WRONG sides together and bind the top of them BOTH ? Marian

Thread: Chat
08/03/2015 23:35:48

Following on from the discussion about cheap flights, those who don't mind a few swear words might want to listen to this song by a group called Fascinating Aida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pj3Fdbwng

The song has a few things to say about a certain Irish airline.

I have seen them live, and they are hilarious .

Edited By Katy on 09/03/2015 10:39:38

Thread: Help needed with fabric
10/11/2014 10:25:38

I think the fabric commonly used for this 'hoop art' is called osnaburg.

It is 100% cotton, but with a very loose weave, so that it resembles linen but is not as expensive. Linen, of course, is another good option.

Marian

Thread: Bags Show and Tell
23/08/2014 12:13:05

I did use fusible batting, because I had some, - it helps when you pleat the front fabric and wadding together.

However, you could spray baste the wadding instead-it just needs to stay in place until you fold and machine the pleats.

I forgot to say that I also replaced the leather handles (expensive) with double fold fabric handles.

Marian

22/08/2014 18:51:44

The bag pattern is freebie on www.u-handbagpatterns.com.

At the top of the screen, click on 'free tutorials', then at the bottom of that page click on ' For pleats sake tote'.

I modified the pattern by adding internal pockets about 15 inches wide and 3 inches up from the bottom of the lining fabric BEFORE PLEATING the lining, and adding a magnetic snap fastener.

Marian

22/08/2014 16:44:51

bag 1.jpgbag 2.jpg

bag 3.jpg

bag 4.jpg

Take a look at my latest bag.

My sister gave me a remnant of linen/viscose fabric for the outsisde, and I already had my own hand-dyed fabric for the inside.

The bag starts out as 2 rectangles, but the pleated top gives it a nice curve.

Marian

Thread: Felt for free
28/04/2014 13:09:57

dsc08598.jpg

I hope this attempt at uploading a photo works

Marian

23/04/2014 12:25:15

Here are some little chicks, made from a pattern in the magazine - I used the felt you gave me for the wings and beaks. needless to say, they are now empty of chocolate !

Thread: back copies
15/02/2014 16:12:43

I posted you a pm a few days ago, regarding the magazine's

Marian

Thread: Felt for free
12/02/2014 10:25:18

Thank you very much Rosemary- my felt arrived this morning. I now need to put my thinking cap on and decide what I am going to do with it.

Regards

Marian

05/02/2014 00:10:47

I would love to have some felt as well, please - it sounds like it would be good for making flower petals and leaves etc.

Marian

Thread: Print Fuse
24/08/2013 11:23:48

I had good success with bondaweb.

I cut the bondaweb into A4 size pieces, then glued the corners onto to a piece of A4 paper, with the paper side of the bondaweb facing up, and leave to dry. Make sure that the paper does not curl up (especially if you store your bondaweb rolled up like I do) by weighing it down with some books or papers.

The difficult part is working out which way to put your paper in the printer - bondaweb on the top or on the bottom - I mark a blank sheet of paper and print on it first to try it out.

Marian

Thread: Hobbycraft sale
10/04/2013 10:05:57

My local (Gloucester) Hobbycraft store has a sale of patchwork fabric from 3 pounds per metre - I bought some Makower and Andover fabrics, but there is also some Amy Butler and Tanya Whelan fabrics at 6 pounds per metre

Thread: Suggestions Please,,,,
19/01/2013 12:29:31

Are you allowed to make more than one item from it ?

I would cut it in two and make two zipped make-up bags or similar - choose a coordinating plain lining or use a cut up shower curtain for a wipeable lining. Also use a brightly coloured zip.

Thread: Holiday quilting
13/01/2013 13:12:41

There is a lady called Di Wells, who used to teach City and Guilds Patchwork and Quilting in Gloucestershire, and now lives near Mevagissey. She does classes and workshops in Cornwall - her website is www.diwells.co.uk. Take a look to see what's on offer.

Marian

Thread: Is this a really bad idea?
12/08/2012 17:03:51

I bought a 440QE off ebay 3 months ago for £725, and its the best thing I have ever bought ! I then sold my Bernina Activa 140 on ebay as well - both very good experiences. You do get some security if you pay by paypal and something goes wrong.

I have been watching the 440QE at £1050 for some weeks - it hasn't sold and keeps being relisted. Personally, I think its a bit overpriced for what you get and thats why it hasn't sold

Thread: Foundation Piecing Help
22/05/2012 23:30:46

I have read that unprinted newspaper is very good to use for foundation piecing - its the sort you get your fish and chips wrapped in - but I haven't tried it. You could cut it up into A4 sheets and print straight onto it. Is this what is meant by deli paper ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues