By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Marian C

Here is a list of all the postings Marian C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tea Cosy Challenge
12/05/2016 13:52:34

My ruler arrived safe and sound, thank you - your packaging worked a treat !

Thread: Doodle printing
03/05/2016 14:23:09

I will add a card holder to my list of things to make, as I have more loyalty cards than there is room for in my purse. Your bright colours will make it easy to spot in the depths of my handbag - very nice Katy.

03/05/2016 14:17:51

Forgot to say congratulations to all for producing very different tea cosies.

03/05/2016 14:16:08

Can I have a 12.5 inch square ruler, please . There really is no need to rush in posting, though. Thank you

Thread: Doodle printing
01/05/2016 14:48:22

I have finished my doodle printing notebook cover. I decided to do some free motion quilting as well, and finished off with a few French knots. I used the recipe I posted to make my own fixing solution. I would like to do more doodle printing, perhaps using my Derwent inktense pencils instead of felt tip pens.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12/04/2016 14:57:43

What a great idea -I'm in. I have already bought the alum powder, so just need to get the washing soda from the supermarket.

07/04/2016 14:49:43

The doodle printing article in the latest magazine really interested me. When I googled the bubble jet set 2000 liquid, I found a recipe to make it yourself using 3 ingredients, as follows : By weight you need 255g hot water, 30g alum powder (also called Fatakdi powder, and available in Indian supermarkets), 12g washing soda, 3g fabric softener. Mix all the ingredients together (they may foam up a little), and then soak your fabric. Then follow the rest of the instructions in the article. You can store excess liquid for future use, but it is best to only soak the amount of fabric you are going to need for your project.

20/03/2016 12:10:09

Here is a tea cosy I made a few years ago, whilst on my City and Guils course. We had a fabric dyeing session, and I dyed all of the coloured fabrics and wanted to make something with them.image.jpeg

Thread: Worldwide Quilting Day, 2016
20/03/2016 12:07:04

Here is a photo of the completed table runner top. I need to buy plain red fabric for the back and binding in order to complete it. Well done to everyone for their sewing efforts yesterday.image.jpeg

19/03/2016 18:53:57

Have completed top of table runner, but too tired to iron an photograph, so will do that tomorrow. This took 1 hour and 15 minutes, so 4 hours total today.

19/03/2016 17:14:04

After 2 hours and 45 minutes, I have appliquéd 28 holly leaves and 21 holly berries.image.jpeg

19/03/2016 14:15:22

image.jpegReady to start sewing my Holly Berry table runner - yes, I know it's March and not December, but I ran out of time last year.

19/03/2016 08:19:05

I will join in today, too. On a day of 3 rugby matches and the beginning of the Formula 1 season, I think I can find the time to "drive" my sewing machine through some fabric. Marian

Thread: Rotary blades
19/02/2016 14:35:17

I have used Barnyarns as well. They have their own website - www.barnyarns.co.uk, and have 10% off until the end of February using the code NEWSFEB2 at checkout, with free delivery I think.

I recently bought a pack of Hobbs Heirloom Premium wadding, size 81x 96 inches at £16.94, so with 10 %'off, it comes to £15.25.

Thread: free motion
13/02/2016 14:28:29

Creative Grids do a "Sew Slip II" which sounds similar to the slider - it's £25.94, and is a touch larger than the biggest Slider at 12x18 inches. They also sell two items called " The Fabulous Fabric Glide" at £21.85 and a "Quilt Halo" at £23.95 which help you grip and move the fabric easily.

Thread: Stuart's Surgery
09/02/2016 13:23:54

Instead of buying expensive quilting gloves, I use a pair of gardening gloves bought from one of the many pound shops -they have knitted cuffs and an uneven rubberised finish, which gives them a good grip on the fabric.

Thread: Chat
25/01/2016 23:35:37

Derwent Inktense can be bought as pencils or blocks. They are pigments which can be used on fabric as well as paper - they can be used dry to colour the fabric and then use a damp brush to blend them like watercolours. The colours become much more vibrant when wetted, and also become permanent. There are YouTube videos on using them as well as plenty of information on blogs etc - just google "Derwent Inktense".

Thread: Horn vs RMF Sewing table
08/12/2015 12:25:56

There are two horn cabinets for sale on this site - there were three, but I bought one of them a couple of months ago and am delighted with it. Luckily, the seller was relatively close by and the cabinet fitted in my small hatchback car.

Thread: Show and Tell, Xmas 2015
08/12/2015 10:13:36

image.jpegThis cushion was made from a free pattern at www.sameliasmum.com. I enlarged the pattern slightly on the photocopier so that I made a larger cushion to fit a 16 inch cushion pad.

Thread: New Projects and Ideas to Try 2015
21/11/2015 15:02:27

13 years ago, when I first started doing patchwork, I made a lap quilt using a pattern by Jan Mullen called Wonky Starz and then another with wonky four patch.

10 years ago, on a visit to my sister in Perth, Australia, she arranged a visit to Jan's workshop in nearby Freemantle - she is a lovely lady and took the time to show me around, and also showed me some new designs she was working on at the time.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues