By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brenda in OZ

Here is a list of all the postings Brenda in OZ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
13/09/2020 01:47:31

Sylvia, you are so clever to cut your own hair! I tried that once and it looked like a dog's breakfast! I have to wait another four weeks at least.

We had a re-think about caring quilts at our club just before the lock down. We had a stack of beautiful large quilt tops which had been generously donated by members. The problem then was the quilting and finishing. It was decided that in future we would ask members to make "quilt as you go" for larger quilts.

We also had a member who had a very premature grandchild in a humi crib. She made a quilt to cover the crib to keep out the bright light and the noise and the baby was much more settled. This was the beginning of our latest project to make these quilts 20 x 36 inches with a dark backing to cover the cribs and the parents take the quilt home with them when the baby leaves hospital.

This is my latest effort. Three odd blocks from the club stash and lots of "I Spy" fabrics around the edge.

cribquilt1s.jpg

05/09/2020 07:50:52

Very nice Sylvia. Maria, I used this cheating technique many years ago in a club workshop. We used a commercial fusible interfacing that already had the lines marked in 2-inch squares. We arranged the squares on point which gives a slightly different look.

Getting fed up of lock down. I need a haircut !!!

Brenda in OZ

flower quilt email size.jpg

20/08/2020 07:17:44

That's lovely Rosemary. It must have been a challenge stitching it all together.

I've been too lazy, just trying to sort out my sewing room. I've found things I don't even remember buying! Tossed a few bits in the bin. Hope the quilt police don't chase me.

Lock down is very difficult the second time around. We don't appear to be winning. Aged care is losing so many to the virus it's difficult to see the way ahead at times.

Need to think positive and care about all those worse off than ourselves!

Brenda in OZ

Thread: FOQ 2020
01/08/2020 06:40:37

I love the flower power quilts Rosemary. Kaffe Fasset fabrics always come up well. I like the quilting around the edges. There are some beautiful quilts in the show. It never ceases to amaze me.

Still struggling with lock down. When will it all end?

Brenda in OZ

08/06/2020 06:01:27

Hello everyone. Well my plans for coming to FOQ in 2020 have fallen in a heap. I see that the event has been cancelled but the good news is that there will be a virtual competition. How about we aim to keep things moving by entering a quilt. Makes it easier for me. All I need is a series of photos. How about it ladies? Brenda in Oz.

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
21/03/2020 00:53:31

Margaret & Sylvia, your quilts are lovely. I have great admiration for those who make a white quilt. It's a great achievement.

Not doing much at the moment. I eventually finished my Kaffe Fasset quilt and the picture is still on the camera card waiting to be processed.

Hope you are all surviving lock down. I expect the birth rate will explode around Christmas.

So glad we didn't book a UK holiday for this year. Maybe things will be back to normal next year. 2020 has not been good so far, I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Our quilt group is planning a challenge via our web-site. Don't know how that will go but it's worth a try.

Stay safe and carry on stitching.

Brenda in OZ

16/03/2020 23:25:10

I think it's the "Lemming syndrome"!

15/03/2020 22:51:50

Hello Everyone, Brenda here in OZ where people are fighting over toilet paper!

Our club events, including our quilt Show, have been cancelled and everyone is staying at home! Time to get out those UFO's or start on that special project you never have time to make. Maybe when this is all over we can have a special "Show & tell" for items made during lock down.

I am due to have major surgery on the 25th but I don't think it will happen, but life goes on and one day we will look back on the events and wonder how we survived!

Please take extra special care.

Love from Brenda

11/02/2020 21:33:27

Sadly I'm not going but a good friend of mine is.

She has promised to take lots of pictures so that we can all enjoy it.

11/02/2020 03:26:46

Hi, are any forum members going to Stiges in Spain for the quilting event?

24/12/2019 22:49:11

Happy Christmas to everyone from a hot and smoky Australia. We personally are not in the fire line but such a lot of the country has burned.

I wish all of you a great 2020 and remember to carry on Quilting!

Brenda in OZ smile d

PS. Love the little quilt Rosemary

Thread: Quilty Calendar for 2020
13/12/2019 06:09:25

Glad to have you back on board Sylvia

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
27/10/2019 01:44:04

Hi Everyone, I'm always trying to come up with new ideas for our club workshops and our caring quilt programme. We are making humi-crib covers for premature babies to keep the light and noise to a minimum. They are 20 x 36 inches with a dark backing. I have made a couple as you can see, each one made in a day with no hand stitching and no seams!

diamond1small.jpg humicrib2small.jpg

The cut pieces, diamonds or rectangles are fused side by side onto fusible wadding. The backing and wadding with the fused patches are pinned together and bias tape, either purchased or home made is placed over the raw edges and stitched in place through all layers. This way you have stitched and quilted in one operation. The binding is attached by machine by stitching on the back of the quilt, turned over to the front and stitched in place.

The diamond quilt has purchased bias and the rectangular quilt has home made.

Not something that a traditional quilt maker would probably approve of but there are no quilt police about!

Hope you like them.

Brenda in OZ

Edited By Brenda in OZ on 27/10/2019 01:45:10

12/10/2019 22:16:45

Lovely quilts Rosemary and Eileen. Just working on an idea for a quick QAG quilt using fusible wadding and minimal stitching. My Kaffe Fasset is nearly there but it's so big I need to take a break or my shoulder s will ache.

Thread: Quilty Calendar for 2020
18/09/2019 04:22:48

Hi Rosemary. Good to know that you are planning another calendar for 2020. Will be home next week

So will send some suggestions. Do you have a theme?

30/08/2019 23:51:54

Try cutting strips from lightweight fusible interfacing, much cheaper

Thread: Photos from FoQ 2019
07/08/2019 01:31:55

These are super!

Such talent. They are so clever but must have taken ages to make.

Thank you for posting them Rosemary.

Did anyone else go to FOQ? The numbers seem to be down this year. Such a pity. Our state quilt show was two weeks ago and some of the quilts were amazing. Most are just made for competition these days and are over quilted in my humble opinion. They look like boards that would stand up unaided! They seem to lack soul. It was an expensive show for me...I bought a new Bernina 720. That should last me until I hang up my tools!

Hope everyone is well.

Brenda in OZ.

21/07/2019 03:07:19

Hi Maria, I use a "go cutter" which I like but I think the dies are expensive. I don't know if they are available in the UK.

Our club bought an electric 'Scan & Cut" but only a couple of members used it, it was too complicated and fickle so we sold it. I think it's more suited to card making.

Thread: Noodle box reversible bag
21/07/2019 03:02:56

Hello everyone, glad to be back with a new idea for a bag.

Hope you enjoy making and using it. I would love to see your pictures.

Brenda in OZ

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
03/07/2019 00:45:24

That's lovely Eileen,

I miss the history in the UK. History here for non-indigenous Australians only began in 1788. My aunt lived in a house in the north of England that was built long before that but we didn't think it anything special!

Curious to know the origin of the coat of arms.

Rosemary, I hope the quilting is going well. It's a massive job.

Brenda in OZ

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues