By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sylvia

Here is a list of all the postings Sylvia has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
10/07/2010 08:07:44
Welcome Aude,
You have done some lovely varied work in just one year, congrats.
I am out on a limb quilting wise too, so like you find this a great source of friendship and information.
Sylvia
06/07/2010 22:09:33
Hi Juliet
It's lovely, lucky you to do a workshop with Gwenfai.

If anyone's interested, I have put lots of pig pics up in an album.  Some of them are quite patchworky.

Sylvia
06/07/2010 09:13:18
This animal thing is obviously catching.
When I came back from a dinner in Andorra La Vela last night I noticed lots of pigs around the streets!
Will try and get a few photos.
Sylvia

Thread: Glendas butterflies
05/07/2010 18:04:20
It's gorgeous.  Some stunning blocks.  Lucky you.  Have fun assembling and quilting it.
Sylvia
Thread: JANE LEAVING
05/07/2010 18:01:59
Hi Jane
A group coffee at FoQ sounds like a great idea.  Lucky you to be having a gap/travelling year.  Am sure it will be fantastic.
Sylvia

Thread: FIONA's quilt for her mum
03/07/2010 12:48:38
Lovely Fiona, lucky mum, sure she will love it.
I have a daughter called Fiona but she doesn't make anything for me, well she's not a quilter!  She quite likes my things though.
Sylvia.
Thread: Summer 2010 Strip Swap
02/07/2010 12:52:09
Hi Cathy
Andorra is a very little country in the Pyrenees mountains between Spain and France.  We came here because I couldn't stand the weather in England and this year we have definitely had the worst weather. 
Sylvia

01/07/2010 20:51:54
Yes, Cathy, you sure are as far away as it gets.  It's shameful that it seems to take as long or longer for things to get to UK from Andorra as NZ.  Every time I look at the pic. of your lovely girly quilt I also fall in love with your blue tree.  What is it? 
Am really looking forward to working with Japanese fabrics for the first time.  Looks like we have got lots of swappers now. 
Just to confirm on here Katie, anything you choose for me will be fine.  Let me know how much everything is.
Sylvia

Thread: Handbag Special Competition winners
01/07/2010 08:34:35
What a lot of lovely bags.  Such variety and skill.  Love yours Reb.  How old are you?  From the comments of others it sounds like you are an ace quilter in the making.
This comp. has certainly inspired me to make some for myself and DD and DDinL. 
One still unfinished and an order for another one....
Sylvia
Thread: Summer 2010 Strip Swap
30/06/2010 11:10:30
Hi Katy

Count me in please.  I can send a £5 note in with my strips and we can use any change for a coffee or a drink at FoQ.  I owe you one anyway for that old handbag mag you sent me.
Agree with Margaret S about florals and repros.  I like Japanese but don't actually have any or a shop here in Andorra.  Maybe I could buy a metre off a quilter here if that's what everyone else would like.
Sylvia

Thread: Ice Cream Swap
30/06/2010 08:50:13
I was just about to do the same as you Cathy and then I realised I was looking at page 1 from ages ago!   As you say expect there will be another one. 
Is it OK to join in from abroad?
Sylvia

Thread: July Square Dance
22/06/2010 13:42:56
Lovely Margaret, bet you had fun making it.
Look forward to seeing the July edition which hasn't got here yet.
Sylvia

Thread: Postcards for Teenage Cancer Trust
14/06/2010 12:03:46
Wonderful result.  It's lovely to think of all our little postcards raising so much and being appreciated like that.   It was great to take part.
Sylvia
Thread: Chat
14/06/2010 09:11:12
Hi Kim, Pam, ladies
Do sympathise with everything you are saying.  I had a real creative/sewing low a while back.  In fact, getting on to this website and the pics, forums etc. really picked me up so thank you all for that. 
Men.............. husbands............... what can one say??!!!
Our weather here is obscene!!   I thought I came here to get away from grey England and now we have grey, rainy, windy Andorra.  Had new snow on the mountain tops night before last.  Am getting lots of sewing done, but at this time of year want to be in the garden.  That's another story too as we have a large, ugly house going up next to us and also they are currently resurfacing our road so there are noisy machines everywhere.
What a life eh?
I am trying not to wish away what might be our brief summer by looking forward to FoQ too much, but I am.  Am treating myself big time as it's my first for several years and going for all 4 days and staying in the Hilton.  Posh eh???  Well I hope I am going for 4 days because with the ash and Ryanair who knows??
Weekend after next I hope I am having a little patchwork treat.  A friend and I are going to the Huesca area of Spain (about 3 hours from here) where there will be Patchwork in the Pyrenees around 3 different villages.  Hope it's good and the sun shines.
Funny that you ladies seem to get up early I am the opposite.  I can't sleep when I get to bed and get up at 1 or 2 but am usually too tired to do anything but a bit of reading.
That's enough moans for this Monday morning.  Let's hope the week improves.
Sylvia
13/06/2010 09:43:25
Hi ladies
While I am online I felt like letting of steam!!
I booked my flights to Birmingham ages ago for the FoQ which, unfortunately, had to be with Ryanair cos the first return I booked got cancelled cos the other airline to Brum from Barcelona cancelled that route.  Anyway have just had an email saying that my flight to Brum is now changed to 4 hours later.  There's only one bus from here to the airport in the morning, it leaves at 5 am and I will now have about 7 hours to kick my heels in Gerona Airport.  Aaaagh....  DH has offered to drive me but as he is already coming to pick me up on my return I really don't want to make him do another 7 hour round trip.  Joys of living in strange places, I don't think.
Sylvia
Thread: could someone explain something to me please!!
13/06/2010 09:32:24
Hi Crissie
I'm quite a newby to this forum too and find it great fun and informative.
When I started patchwork I was living in Italy (got inspired by some American friends) and there were no classes or shops there.  I learnt all my basics from a very good book by marti Michell called Quilting for Peope Who Don't Have Time to Quilt.  It's Book One: Sew-Before-You-Cut Patchwork.  I had lot's of time but this book is great cos it starts you off doing speedy piecing etc.  I never looked back.  Don't know if it's still available, hope so.
Anyway re on point blocks, I did her Magic Nine Patch, pic below, as one my first few quilts and it's a great introduction to on point.
There's one very complicated piece of piecing for a wall hanging at the back of the book called Burgoyne Surrounded hmmmmm.... have always meant to do that, now I have the book out...........
Anyway good luck Crissie, am sure you will get hooked like the rest of us.

Sorry, have just browsed my quilts album and realise that the pic of my Magic Nine Patch is terrible and won't show you anything.  Will replace it with a better one.  Will post it if you want or you can have a look in my album.
Sylvia

Thread: Journal for a friend
09/06/2010 15:58:08
Thanks from me too Katy.  It was great to take part.  Sylvia.
Thread: Linzi's quilted yurt
07/06/2010 18:45:08
Wow and wow!  Fantastic.  Wish I could have seen it.  Brilliant idea.  Modern take on how they were/are traditionally made I assume.
Well done Linzi.
Sylvia
Thread: wadding for tea cosies
07/06/2010 16:27:06
Hi Lou
I haven't ever made a tea cosy but guess as it's only to keep the tea warm then any thick wadding would do.  For pot holders and oven gloves there is a heatproof wadding available with a silvery metallic shine to it.  I think I bought mine at the FoQ when I last went.  It seems to work OK.
Expect one of the other girls will tell you where you can buy it online in the UK.
Sylvia

Thread: Stained glass
06/06/2010 07:50:46
It's beautiful Katy, you must be very pleased with it.  I would love to do one, but boohoo fusible bias is another thing I can't get here! 
Sylvia
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues