By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jayne McWatt

Here is a list of all the postings Jayne McWatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hexagon help
24/07/2009 15:03:05
That is dedication indeed - I thought my five years on my first quilt was a long time, but thirteen definitely becomes a labour of love! Do you have a picture as well Ros?

X Jayne
24/07/2009 14:46:36
Oh Janet what a shame - no I'd love to use it (if you are willing) just as an example of why NOT to give up, just put to one side and go back to it when you are ready.

X Jayne
23/07/2009 08:31:15
Links would be great Brenda. I'm looking for general history and then human stories of the hexagon and how it has shaped people's lives. People often don't realise what a large part such things play in their lives. For example my first ever quilt started out as experimenting with the hexagon (average size 1.25" sides). A mish mash central hexagon grew with 'flowers' in it and I really didn't know what to do with it, so put it away for a couple of years. Then a book showed me a picture of a traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern and I then started to shape the quilt to fit into that. In the end it worked quite well. During that time I became pregnant and had my son and in his early months we lived in a very isolated part of Cornwall. This quilt became my life saver in that it occupied me for hours. The materials came from a vast range of clothes, jumble sales, bargain ends etc. In all it took me five years and my son was nearly 18 months old by the time it was finished! All hand sewn except the backing. I never did finish quilting it as it has a 4oz wadding and is quite heavy to sew through! But it is used regularly now as a lightweight summer quilt with a cotton sheet.

Janet - please finish the story!! And can I use it? Just what I'm after. A photo would be good.
Thanks to everyone, keep 'em coming.
X Jayne
22/07/2009 11:27:26
This kind of thing sounds perfect Jytte. There is no reason why the book you mentioned cannot be quoted as long as it is acknowledged. Do you mind telling me the title?
And if you find out anything else when you go to Denmark I would be most interested to know, if you care to pass it on.
Thank you for your trouble.
kind regards
Jayne
22/07/2009 09:03:57

Hi, my name is Jayne McWatt. I am currently researching the history of the hexagon as it is used within the quilting/patchwork world and collecting various patterns for this shape. I’m in the process of putting together an e-book and am hoping for some help.

I am looking for people to send me their experiences in this area, how they have worked with hexagons, any stories of the shape used within patchwork in their families, any patterns people may be willing to share with fellow quilters/patchworkers and any photos people would be happy to have published.

If I use the content I will of course inform you and give acknowledgement for where the information/pattern has come from as well as a copy of the finished e-book.

Please private message me with your details if you wish to be included. You will not only get credit, but will also be helping others to try out this fascinating craft.

Many thanks in advance
kind regards
Jayne
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues