By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cath

Here is a list of all the postings Cath has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Newbie
30/07/2008 11:29:00

Hi there hazel,

When I decided to try and make my first piece, I went along to my nearest quilting suppliers and had a friendly chat with the ladies there. I decided to choose a pattern and instructions for a small wall hanging, and I was advised as to what fabrics and equipment  would be required for this first project. It saved me from buying too much unnecessary stuff, just enough to get me started. After this, I made another couple of small bits and then enrolled in a local patchwork and quilting class. This was great because it meant I only purchased what was really needed, and as I went along, I slowly added anything that was appropriate for my personal needs. Anyway Hazel, good luck with it all, and at the end of the day the important thing is to have lots of fun. which I'm sure you will, and as others have said, beware....it is very addictive!

Thread: Paul and Ruth
18/07/2008 17:00:00

Wow......This quilt is gorgeous and really large too. Will you be quilting by hand or machine? I've only ever attempted to make a double sized quilt once, and I don't have the patience to hand quilt. I found it so difficult to roll it up to get it under the machine needle that it's put me off making anything that size again. I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's possible to make up smaller sections first, and to quilt them before finally joining the quilted sections together. Have you, or any other quilters ever tried this method? If so, how do you finish them off at the back, avoiding thick seams where the wadding joins, and making the lining look neat? Good luck with this one though, it will be fabulous when finished, lucky Paul and Ruth.

Thread: Decipher
10/07/2008 18:34:00
This is so clever, the shapes look as though they are floating above the background. This is one of those quilts that I would love to have a good look at close-up, I would love to see how the shadows under the shapes have been done!
Thread: Postcard swap
16/06/2008 18:47:00
That sounds like a fun idea Priscilla, I also enjoy making postcards for friends and family but have never been involved in any swaps, or your unusual Round Robin idea. It must be a real challenge to work on something that is only 2"x2", and the photo you have put onto the gallery is lovely, and so detailed for such tiny blocks! I also love your penguin postcard.
Thread: 100_0260sm.JPG
12/06/2008 18:45:00
I love this, it reminds me of mosaic and the colours are beautiful too.
Thread: Where should we go?
02/06/2008 08:52:00
All the above ideas sound really good, I especially like the idea of swaps of fabric strips. Postcard swapping is another idea I've seen on some websites. There is usually a theme, maybe using shades of one colour only, or ideas based on shapes or  seasonal images etc. As I haven't  been involved in anything like this, I'm not sure how the technicalities are organised, but It certainly does sound like a lot of fun.
Thread: scan0003.jpg
27/05/2008 17:11:00
Oops, sorry, that measurement should be 6"x4".
27/05/2008 17:01:00
I don't know of any books, but I discovered the idea on the internet one day. I think it's a popular idea in America, and to find out more I just typed in "textile postcards". Most of the sites I found suggested that they should measure 5"x7", and that once you've stitched the main body they can be laid onto a postcard or piece of card, and zig-zagged on. I really enjoy making them, and if, like me time is precious, it's something that can be achieved in an evening with the satisfaction of having a completed piece of work by bed time! I hope your patchwork group has a go too, and enjoys the results.
Thread: DSCN1425.jpgThe Garn
07/05/2008 17:49:00
I'm pleased you like it Katy, The background was layered up using different coloured pieces of felt, and then I've used my new needle punch machine to add colour and texture using wool roving, pieces of fabric and scraps of knitting wool. These have then been embroidered over using mainly free motion machine stitching and different coloured threads. It''s great fun, and something that I'm really enjoying at the moment.
Thread: Wee squares March 08.jpg
06/05/2008 17:54:00
I love it, it shimmers with all those tiny jewell like pieces.
Thread: The power and the glory
05/05/2008 19:43:00

It just glows....I want to walk right into it!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues